• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

Luronium natans looks similar to my untrained eye.

Found these in a small pond in south wales...thats south wales UK not Australia haha. Sorry guys, but i think i got everyone on a wild goose chase as should have said where i got these from.

Luronium natans looks exactly what i have to my eye as well. The downside is if it that its classified as a rare plant and illegal to take from the wild. Ill just do what comes naturel and act dumb. Ill see what the plants do in the growing season, and wherever they flower or not for further identification.

Just looking more closely at the leaves, and the veins on the Luronium run horizontal with the plant i have running vertical. Its still the closest ive seen so far.

Hi all,
with the plant i have running vertical ......... Its still the closest ive seen so far.
The leaf veins just means it is a "monocotyledon". <"Leaf venation"> was how I was able to exclude plants like <"Lesser Spearwort (Ranunculus flammula)">. All the possible ID's we've discussed are monocotyledons (Sarurus is a <"bit of a strange one"> and it is neither mono or dicot).
confirmed here ( Luronium natans | Online Atlas of the British and Irish Flora ), not that I had any doubt, then it's likely not that.
You really need a flower for a definitive ID, a lot of water plants look very similar, even in the UK.
......... The key feature for identification is the presence of stolons which, in the absence of flowers, is the only reliable diagnostic feature that separates it from Baldellia ranunculoides and Alisma plantago-aquatica........
I think that probably makes Water Plantain (Alisma plantago-aquatica) the most likely identification.

Amazon Swords (Echinodorus spp.) belong to the same family <"(Alismataceae)"> as the Water Plantains, and your plant should have a similar white three petalled flower, but a lot smaller.

cheers Darrel

At least found in the wild this time of year in this region, it most likely is a robust perennial... :) That makes by the looks of it a <Alismatalis> the most likely suspect.

What I've grown and still grow outdoors this time of year as an evergreen in relatively mild winters is about all same order next to some Apiales (grassworts).

Last edited:
You really need a flower for a definitive ID, a lot of water plants look very similar, even in the UK.

cheers Darrel
I think so too. Ill take some pics later in the year, and of the general area i found these.

Back