• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PLant List for New 'Scape?

Wilis

Hi guys, I'm at the point of ordering my plants for my new setup & just trying to finalise the list-I haven't done a tank of quite this size before-esp front to back, what do you think? Tank is an 83 gallon 48"x24"x20" high, lighting is 300w Metal halide,c02, & I'll be dosing EI, substrate is ecocomplete.
The list so far:
Alternanthera Reineckii Purple (lilacina)
Hygrophila Polysperma Rosanervig (or Sunset)
Limnophila Aromatica
Pogostemon Stellata (Eusteralis)
Vallisneria Americana 'Mini Twister'
Lilaeopsis Macloviana
Staurogeyne Sp.
Cryptocoryne x Willisii
Anubias Barteri var. Caladifolia
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
Saggitaria Subulata
Riccia Fluitans
Possibly some HC
Flame Moss & another moss-possibly Vesicularia Dubyana (Christmas Moss)
Might also squeeze an Amazon Sword I have in there too?

Too much, too little? :lol: Any alternatives I should consider,let me know?
Regards
Will

Well it's a bit subjective. I'd say you will get a better effect and more impact if you have large amounts of fewer species, but I'm a bit of a plant collector and tend to cram too many types in. My 40g tank has 23 species in it. But I wish I could halve that as I think the tank would look much better - but I don't want to lose any of the species in there!!!

The most important thing is to make sure you plant really heavily so get enough of each type, especially the stems, at the start.

Hi, Thanks Ed I know exactly what you mean, it was more like going through the tropica catalogue thinking what I don't want rather than what I do! So difficult limiting yourself that's why I asked for help really? :lol:
Regards
Will

I'm with Ed, i always find the 'less is more' effect myself. I think i have 4 plants in my 160G, but may change that to 6-7. :rolleyes:

But please don't let that put you off, this hobby is all about experimenting with different varieties, and depends on your scape too, the Iwagumi usually have less.

Wilis said:
Hi, Thanks Ed I know exactly what you mean, it was more like going through the tropica catalogue thinking what I don't want rather than what I do! So difficult limiting yourself that's why I asked for help really? :lol:
Regards
Will

If you're after a wish list of the plants I'd keep then that'd be very different!!!

What's your design going to be? I'd look at one plant for the carpet at the front (assuming you're having one); then maybe a taller carpeting plant to transition into the mid-ground; Crypts or small swords for the mid-ground; Anubias or Java ferns to go on the hardscape in the mid-ground and then a range of stems in the background. Of course that's a rather boring generic plan but you get the idea!

Hey Ed, Yeah I have a plan it's going to be a kind of 'Jungumi' :lol: I'm working on reducing my plants list, as you guys say simplifying it for maximum impact. There may be a small patch of sand & then a carpet, the plants are going to get taller from left to right and front to back, one or two specimen plants & tall plants along the very back, also some moss & the anubias on the wood & riccia on the petrified tree stump. I'll hopefully post another list in a couple of days
Regards
Will

Back