• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant maintenance with new plants

Paul195

Hi all

Now that my plants have been submerged for 3 weeks and have started to grow, I was wondering what steps I need to take next to maintain them.

In some cases, new smaller leaves have grown which are a different colour to the original leaves. Am I right in saying that this is submerged growth, whereas the original leaves were grown emerged ? In these cases, is it a good idea to start removing the original leaves to leave just the newly grown leaves ?
Will this trigger more new healthy submerged growth ? If I were to leave the original leaves would this stop or slow down new growth ?

I find it quite tricky to remove stalks / leaves in the tank and would probably end up dislodging the plants anyway! Is it ok to uproot the plants in general to maintain them ? I have a lot of plants so this will create a fair bit of substrate disturbance so I assume uprooting/removing leaves and stems/replanting should precede a large WC ?

Any tips appreciated!

Paul

Hello,
It's best to leave well enough alone and to not cause more problems than you solve. There are no next steps. If the old leaves are not dying then consider it a success and simply carry on.
Pruning and re-planting is to be performed at a later date to improve aesthetics and ti fill out the spaces.

Cheers,

Back