• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Propogators

Dave Spencer

Can anybody recommend one? I am thinking ahead for when I break down my 120cm which has a lot of expensive crypts in it.

It will probably be kept indoors, so I am guessing some supplementary lighting may be in order.

Secondly, what medium should I keep them in? Something from John Innes perhaps?

Dave.

Re: Plant Propogaters

Wilko have some good tall ones in at the moment ;) The ones that are a foot tall and about 18" x 10" footprint.

AC

Cheers Andy. I`ll have a look at them this weekend.

Dave.

Personally if you are just trying to 'store' the plants for future use then the cheap flimsy 'low' propogators are fine.

Crypts will melt and also lose all their leaves when transferred to emersed or immersed form and therefore you don't really need the tall ones.

I would use the cheap flimsy ones (6" from bottom of tray to top of lid) put a 1" layer of standard multipurpose compost in the bottom, top it with gravel and then 1" of water. plant the Crypt and let it grow it's leaves out of the water whilst pulling the nutrient through its roots. The 1 inch of water seems to help with most slower growers like Crypts, Anubias and Ferns.

You only need the height if you want to grow emersed or immersed as they will change form again when returned to the tank :)

AC

I just used a spare tank with moist soil, compost and gravel a couple inches high, then sealed the top to preserve humidity. As Andy says the crypts die back but recover. Another way to do it is to have the water level highish and allow it to evaporate so the plant actually gets accustomed to the water loss and starts to grow emersed leaves. By the time the water evaporates the plants have transitioned.

Cheers,

Cheers guys. I will definitely look in to a cheap alternative.

As for crypt melt, I have never experienced this. I don`t know why, because I don`t do anything special. I have added quite a few emersed grown crypts to my last two tanks, and not seen any sign of melt. Must be a TFF myth. :lol:

Dave.

I pretty much concur.

I have no melt problems with Wendtii, Parva, Undulata but the Becketti and Willisii seem to always suffer.

Maybe it is due to substrate/parameters more and certain varieties melt for one person and not for others whilst others don't :)

AC

Back