• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Question

tennis4you

Just for kicks... Has anyone ever used any of their ferts for a plant NOT in an aquarium. Like putting them in the soils?

tennis4you said:
Just for kicks... Has anyone ever used any of their ferts for a plant NOT in an aquarium. Like putting them in the soils?

I used to feed plants with aquarium water several times a day. It is called aquaponics. I had an elaborate system of timers, with the aquarium water flooding a large tray of pots filled with clay pebbles. I grew herbs and lettuces and whatnot. There were plants in the aquarium, too. I dosed both Hydroponic and Aquatic fertilisers - not together, but just to experiment with them. The herbs and lettuces grew well regardless of the fertiliser. I had a decent stock of fish, though, producing their own unique brand of fertiliser.

Dry salt fertilisers should work exactly the same with terrestrial plants, as they do with submerged species. Some of the branded aquatic fertilisers might not have enough nitrogen and phosphorus for good vegetative growth, or potassium for fruiting/flowering plants, and some additives, especially hormones, might cause unexpected results.

One other point: you can dose terrestrial plants much stronger concentrations of nutrients. (Less algae issues. No fish to worry about. etc.) TDS levels greater than 1000 ppm are not unheard of with Hydroponics, or even with a well-draining soil. At those concentrations, a branded aquatic fertiliser would rapidly become uneconomical.

Back