• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant recommendation/ advice please? (Red tint'd background)

Nick_593

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a plant to add to the background of my tank. Currently there is a lot of green and I want to add some contrast.

Ideally I want something as close looking to 'Heteranthera Zosterifolia' as possible, but with a red tint.
Something that is a mix of green and red is ideally what I'm looking for, and relatively easy to look after.
*Tank spec; 180l, 2.5/3+ WPG, plenty of CO2 and plenty of ferts.

I want to position the new plant in the background, to the right of the Vallis and behind the 'triceratops' looking wood!
IMG_0660PSMarch_zps134b7f51.jpg

Any advice/ recommendations will be a huge help!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

That sounds like you want Potamogeton gayii..........but that's not easily found. Possible, though !!
- Rotala rotundifolia is easy to find - but less looking like the zosterifolia.
- a Ludwigia-type could work. And you could mix a red plant and a (bright-)green plant in one group, to get the desired 'tint'-effect.
Mick.

Thanks Mick. That's a lot of help. I'll keep on the lookout for Potamogeton gayii. I was leaning towards Rotala spp, as I haven't tried it before, but I'm looking for something with longer leaves.

I've used Ludwigia arcuata before and it was great (but wanted something different as I've tired it..). However I might give it another go.
-Can you get 'Red' and 'Green' varieties, or does it depend on the lighting as with most plants?

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Thanks Tim. Just checked out their website- no contact email. Do you know if they post?

yep they post and it's a great service, also ask Darren what he'd recommend, as he has lots of specials

Thanks Mick. That's a lot of help. I'll keep on the lookout for Potamogeton gayii. I was leaning towards Rotala spp, as I haven't tried it before, but I'm looking for something with longer leaves.

I've used Ludwigia arcuata before and it was great (but wanted something different as I've tired it..). However I might give it another go.
-Can you get 'Red' and 'Green' varieties, or does it depend on the lighting as with most plants?

Thanks a lot,

Nick
Actually I ment mixing some red and another green plant. But the idea of using colour-varieties of same plant also work out great. I've done it with Rotala macrandra stanard red mixed with Rotala mac. 'green' (that will actually colour up yellow-pink-ish) and another mix of myriophyllum mattogrossense standard green, Myr. mat.'red' and a variety of Myr. mat. called 'golden' gave very nice appearance too. It all depends weather you want the "interest" of the mixed plant-group to come from colour alone, or from difference in textures of tbe leaves too !!!
- It's your tank, mate............and your taste decides (after all it's allso you, who have to look at it every day ;)).........go explore ..........
Mick.

Back