• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant recommendations for low tech hexagon tank

Danielle324

Hi everyone
I’ve finally got around to setting up my 60L hexagon tank. It’s 45cm at its widest and 60cm tall. I’ve got fluorite black for the substrate, and have 2 pieces of driftwood and some dragon rock soaking. Not sure what I’m going to use yet, also have some planted driftwood with Anubis and moss, and lava rock with Java fern in my current tank which I could use. The original plan was to have two pieces of driftwood crossing over each other in the middle of the tank, with plants around but that may change!
Tomorrow I’m going shopping for plants. Has anyone got any recommendations for low light, beginner plants? I’m thinking something tall like Java fern to be tied to the cross over point of the two pieces of driftwood to get height and maybe some Anubis and moss on there towards the bottom? Just not sure what plants to get in the substrate.
I’ve attached a rough layout of what I hope to achieve (ignore the tank size/shape as there wasn’t a hexagon option) but I’m open to any suggestions.
Once it’s cycled, it will be a shrimp only tank.
Thanks in advance
Danielle

Attachments

• 64E25B45-4E69-4208-914D-0E5DCE163B8B.png
    64E25B45-4E69-4208-914D-0E5DCE163B8B.png
    2 MB · Views: 330
Hi Danielle,
Tropica plants would be my choice. Suggestions for low light plants:
Tropica Sagittaria subulata, Tropica marsilea hirsuta. 1-2 grow tissue pots plus they are labelled easy.
Just a couple off the top of my head. Maybe other members would recommend some other plants.
Welcome by the way;)
Cheers,
Simon.

For a tall tank like that i would recommend various anubia for the bottom layer. They are come in a large number of different types (shapes and sizes). Conversely a lot of people like bruce but i'm not as big of a fan of them (they do grow very slowly but other than perhaps colouring i just don't find them as appealing as anubia). Some common anubia i've liked are pinto nana (green/white leaves); golden nana (golden green leaves); anubia chili; anubia afzelii (enlongated leaf); anubia barteri nana petite (very low growing small leaf); anubia gracillis (arrow shaped leaf larger than afzelii) - anyway there are many - there is one similar to crypt parva but i can't find the name.
-

Conversely a lot of people like bruce but i'm not as big of a fan of them (they do grow very slowly but other than perhaps colouring i just don't find them as appealing as anubia).
-
I am one of these people, I think every tank should contain Bucephalandra 'Kedagang' :D But I also love Anubias (Anubias nana Coin being a favourite).

Best of luck with the scape, looking forward to seeing what you do!

Hi Danielle,
Tropica plants would be my choice. Suggestions for low light plants:
Tropica Sagittaria subulata, Tropica marsilea hirsuta. 1-2 grow tissue pots plus they are labelled easy.
Just a couple off the top of my head. Maybe other members would recommend some other plants.
Welcome by the way;)
Cheers,
Simon.
Thanks Simon, I love the look of both of them, especially the marsilea. Will add them to my list 😊.

For a tall tank like that i would recommend various anubia for the bottom layer. They are come in a large number of different types (shapes and sizes). Conversely a lot of people like bruce but i'm not as big of a fan of them (they do grow very slowly but other than perhaps colouring i just don't find them as appealing as anubia). Some common anubia i've liked are pinto nana (green/white leaves); golden nana (golden green leaves); anubia chili; anubia afzelii (enlongated leaf); anubia barteri nana petite (very low growing small leaf); anubia gracillis (arrow shaped leaf larger than afzelii) - anyway there are many - there is one similar to crypt parva but i can't find the name.
-
Thank you, I’m definitely going to get some for the driftwood. Currently have 3 in my 54L, was so excited the other week when one flowered 🙈😂.

I am one of these people, I think every tank should contain Bucephalandra 'Kedagang' :D But I also love Anubias (Anubias nana Coin being a favourite).

Best of luck with the scape, looking forward to seeing what you do!
Ohh that looks lovely, will add that to my list.
Thank you, I’ll post a picture once it’s finished 😊.

Thought I’d come back and show you a picture of the finished tank. Didn’t quite go to plan and had to change from my initial idea due to one of the driftwoods refusing to sink, but I’m really happy with the finished look, considering it’s my first attempt. Plants have been in for a week now, a couple have melted but the majority are looking good for now. Went for bacopa compact, cryptocoryne Willisii, rotala rotubdifolia and lobelia cardinalis from the tropica easy range and Java fern, Anubias congensis and nana for the driftwood, as well as some moss. Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• FBED0926-A2C3-4DBB-9B5B-EF64EA79DC8E.jpeg
    FBED0926-A2C3-4DBB-9B5B-EF64EA79DC8E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
Back