• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant seen at Chester Zoo

joeotley

Seedling
Hey there,

can anyone name this here plant? I'm keen to have it in my tank, saw it at Chester Zoo, which I've heard Graeme Edwards used to work at?

Any help would be great!
3024833704_e927c0870f.jpg

3024003875_e069b2c9fb.jpg

3024002995_40f0f62aed.jpg

Hi,
Sorry you PMed me on TFF, totally forgot about that, my apologies.

Its Anubias barteri var. barteri, I think, although can not be 100%, but looking at it, its hard to think its anything other than. Big old Anubius that, well over 10 years old if i remember, hence its size.

Really sorry i never got back to you about this soon.

:D

Graeme Edwards said:
Hi,
Sorry you PMed me on TFF, totally forgot about that, my apologies.

Its Anubias barteri var. barteri, I think, although can not be 100%, but looking at it, its hard to think its anything other than. Big old Anubius that, well over 10 years old if i remember, hence its size.

Really sorry i never got back to you about this soon.

:D

Thats a beauty. My intial thoughts were Nuphar japonicum...

At a guess the leaves are probs above the waterline and monsters at that!!!

AC

Thanks a lot mate, nice one! Yeah I was thinking thats what it was but can't find any pictures of one that big. I just like how the stems look like submerged roots, really cool.

10 Years old! wow. Has the aquarium even been there that long, or was it brought in?

What sort of care do these require, and how long to reach that sort of size do you think?

The leaves are not out of the water. The tank is much taller than the viewing window, so you don't get chance to see the full hight. Thats down to a prehistoric building unfortunately. Its far over due an update, and in the 7 years I was there it was always next year. So poor old Mike Crumpler has spent 44 years in that very building breeding fish :rolleyes:

The plants don't get fed, only by the high fish loads and they try and run all tanks to 0ppm of Nitrates, they usually have 10-20 at the very top end. Kind of old school fish keeping really. The tanks have not been rescaped or replaced in well over 10 years, so thats kind of how old that Anubias is. Its definitely not nurphur japonica, that is grown from a bulb and has much more aquatic leaves and a brighter green look about it.

Cheers.

Back