• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant set up - is this enough/not enough just right?

becks

Hi all,

Im just putting together a plant list for a aquascaper 1200, do you think this is enough plants to start my tank? any suggestions or changes would you recommend? The tank will have some open areas that wont be planted.

Alternanthera reineckii 'Pink' x1
Microsorum pteropus Trident x3
Java fern XL Mother Plant x1
Bolbitis Heudelotii XL Mother Plant x1

Bucephalandra Red x2
Anubias Coffeefolia x3
Anubias Golden Nana x3
Bucephalandra Biblis x2

Cryptocoryne crispatula Tropica 1-2 Grow! x3
Cryptocoryne undulatus Red 1-2 Grow - Tissue Culture x2
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica x2
Cryptocoryne Balansae x3

Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas' 1-2 Grow x1
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' 1-2 Grow x1

button

Thanks

Have you watched George Farmers video-log of his recently rescaped AE 1200?

You’re missing the
Auxiliary Plants
(Tropica Plant Care Guide) ;)

Buying the XL pots is no guarantee that they won’t “melt” etc upon introduction to a new environment, Bolbitis will quickly fill in, Java fern often takes a couple months to think but then can be massive by year’s end - so I’d use that savings for the purchase of some fast growing stems
(in my area they’re very expensive)

Note that “Java Fern” (without some variant identified) may develop massive leafs

Sometimes Buce’s can be prone to melt in new tanks, so I’d be inclined to add them after a couple months

Cryptocoryne crispatula Tropica 1-2 Grow! x3
Cryptocoryne Balansae x3
these will likely look much the same once established (unless the latter is a red variant or ?)

A photo of hardscape setup would be helpful :)

Have you watched George Farmers video-log of his recently rescaped AE 1200?

You’re missing the
Auxiliary Plants
(Tropica Plant Care Guide) ;)

Buying the XL pots is no guarantee that they won’t “melt” etc upon introduction to a new environment, Bolbitis will quickly fill in, Java fern often takes a couple months to think but then can be massive by year’s end - so I’d use that savings for the purchase of some fast growing stems
(in my area they’re very expensive)

Note that “Java Fern” (without some variant identified) may develop massive leafs

Sometimes Buce’s can be prone to melt in new tanks, so I’d be inclined to add them after a couple months

these will likely look much the same once established (unless the latter is a red variant or ?)

A photo of hardscape setup would be helpful :)

Ok, ill scrap the XL fern and replae the XL bobi for a 1-2 grow pot...Cant take a photo of the hardscape just yet as Im still trying to find my rock :) Ill add some axilaries too.. Ive seen some of george farmers videos but, I cant judge how many plant pots he uses as he supplements his scapes with plants removed from other scapes too.

CO2?
Lights?
Seems from your plant choices this will be more of a slow grower
I’m guessing no carpeting plant

I set up a 30cm cube a couple weeks ago, 1-2-Grow
MC
Rotala Vietnam Hra
Eleocharis misc x 3
R inundatus
Eriocaulon cinereum
H verticillata (pot)
While I could’ve spread these same pots over a 40cm cube, for dense planting (easiest way to limit algae from the start) this is fairly typical
I’ve watched online (Green Aqua, GF etc) easily place 10-15 pots into a 30cm cube - most will add some epiphyte plants - I left my stones pretty bare (added a bit of moss from another tank + some of the MC

Light is new ONF flat nano +, Eheim miniup filter, Tropica CO2 Kit, Tropica soil, weekly 50% water change, shrimp, snails
No visible algae (though shrimp surprised me by eating a patch of MC when they arrived)

Even a rough sketch of your intended tank design would be great :)

Fluval Flex 34 (set up a week later, minimal stone to keep it easily portable)

6 x 1-2-Grow
H zosterfoila
R Vietnam H’ra
S repens
E acicularis ‘mini’, acularis, & parvula

4 x Pots
S subulata
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii
C wendtii green (completely melted pot)
Bacopa ‘compact’

Non CO2, snails and shrimp, weekly 50% water change, no visible algae despite long (stock) LED hours, Tropica soil
Without the CO2 the R Vietnam H’ra is much slower to begin growing, and older (cup grown) leafs are browning/melting

lights will be kessil tuna suns x2, ordering them at the end of the week :), Ill put together a sketch quickly tomorrow. Ill take a photo of my hardscape with just bog wood without the rocks...I still have a few places to check out...luckily my dad owns a stone masonary company...so I can show him a different rocks and stones and he knows roughly what they are etc :) I'm going to check out a place tomorrow that looks to have very similar rocks to the "frodo" stones that have recently been cropping up.

I have CO2 and will be using lower light..I only want the kessils for the shimmer.

Back