• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Wall

dean

Looking at making a plant wall above my corner tank so it looks like continuous plant growth

I have lights and pump already in place But I have some questions about the materials and basic design and if there are any problems you clever bunch can foresee

I’d like to use the plant wall as the main filter for the 350 litre Juwel Trigon, the water will constantly trickle down the plant wall where the plants will take up the EI Ferts and the material over the plant wall and the media in the pockets will provide the growing space for the filter bacteria to colonise

One question that concerns me is what happens if it gets infected by pests such as aphids etc ?
It will be an L shape it will not be removable
Any spray used to combat pests will go into the aquarium and will kill the fish !

Here’s one of the videos that shows a good quality build

So what do you think is it feasible or just a lot of work that will be quickly undone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problems you can foresee with constantly fertilized tank water running down a wall is a salt deposit buildup... Then if the wall also is/has the substrate the plants will grow to this can become saline and next to it won't look very nice it also will not be in the plants' favour and it might suffer a burn.

Pests don't have t be an issue with the correct plant choices, most houseplants suitable for such a project are pretty pest resilient. Tho, most will be epiphytes and these type of plants also don't like too much fertilizer

You actually would be better off with plants in baskets in the water or build something like this and put climbers in it that create the wall for you.

Still, you can hang other plants to the wall but then water and feed them accordingly by hand. :)

Back