• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted Bowl

CalebWM

Hi,
So I had been looking at getting a nano fish tank for my room for quite some time, but not having a job means I couldn't really get one for myself. Anyway, one day in a super market I see a bowl and tell my mum I could set up a small planted tank for the kitchen, which she agreed on, so I brought the bowl. This is a low budget set up with no additional lighting apart from daylight and plants brought from fellow UKAPS members, it is riccia tied to a CD and I am waiting for a floating plant and some hydrocotyle 'Japan'.Without further ado, here are some pics.
IMGP2893_zps5c9fc5ff.jpg
IMGP2896_zps6b45a4fa.jpg

And some pictures from this evening in situ
IMGP2900_zps46f4543e.jpg
IMGP2901_zps72adb3b1.jpg
Would dosing liquid carbon or a fertiliser be recommended for this? Also the bowl is about 4 litres
Any comments appreciated!
Thanks,
Caleb

I think you'd be best of with doing 10% water changes twice a week, and maybe a tiny dose of ferts after these. I'm no expert, that's just what I'd do.

I'm planning on doing water changes at least once a week, at about 10% each. Also I'm hoping to add some thai micro crabs some time soon, anyone had any experiences with these?
Thanks,
Caleb

Hi guys, haven't updated on this in a while, there have been a few changes. First of all added some red rooted floaters from BigTom which add a really nice bit of colour to the bowl, it seems new floaters are already growing of of these which is great.
Also the bowl had to be moved from the kitchen to my room because the cat was drinking water from it :facepalm: but it is now on my window sill so it gets more light now I think as this is a south facing window, the sunlight is the only light it is getting though but we have been having great weather, when this weather stops im going to move the bowl to my desk under an ikea desk lamp.
I have also been finding small snails which must of came in through some plants, but I don't really mind at the moment.
Anyway here are some pics,
IMGP2909_zps7201286e.jpg
IMGP2912_zpsc217854a.jpg
IMGP2913_zps879d9fd0.jpgCan anyone recommend any fish or shrimp that could live in this, it is unheated apart from through the sunlight it receives so is probably room temperature which is about 21 degrees in my house.
Thanks for looking,
Caleb

Reactions: tim
Thanks mate, I have done practically no work on this, water changes are really easy with it being so small

Looking good, I have orange sakuras in my pico along with micro crabs and they do fine. Room temp is no problem for them.

Looking good, I have orange sakuras in my pico along with micro crabs and they do fine. Room temp is no problem for them.
Thanks, I'm currently looking at getting some shrimp for this :D

White cloud mountin Minos would be ok I think ,
Looks really good though , looks bigger then it actually is !! Good job

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I think my lfs has minnows so I might go down and get 4, does that sound okay? Also would they be okay with 3 red cherry shrimp?
Thanks

yeah, id agree with Henry, the bowl is too small for fish..... stick to a few undemanding shrimp :)

Thanks for the advice guys, Ady would 4 cherry shrimp do okay in this? Also would dosing Neutro T be beneficial for this?

Ahh didn't give a thought about space , was going on the lines of temp , as My 1st few fish were white clouds and that was in a cold water set up . Scrap that idea then :)

Hi guys, no update on this really just a question, would amano shrimp be suitable to keep in this? If so how many? It's because I've been noticing algae in the bowl, I think that is down to me moving this under a lamp
Thanks,
Caleb

Back