• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted Goldfish Tank

Arana

I've heard a few people lately mention the possibility of mixing plants and Goldfish, here's a bad picture of my goldfish tank, although it does contain a few tropicals that have been banned from my big tank for bad behaviour :lol:
if you want to keep Goldfish in a planted tank then the order of the day is big beefy broad leaf plants and a thick layer of pebbles around each plant to stop them digging them up :D Oh and NO shrimp :)
I'll attempt some better pictures if anyone is interested

DSCI0443.jpg

Oh wow that looks fantastic! I did google planted goldfish tank a little while ago and the only pics it came up with was yours I think. Looks fantastic!!!

Here's mine, just finished moving the plants about a bit about 10 mins ago;

goldietank2.jpg

goldietank3.jpg

I'd say plants with goldies is a bit hit and miss, some goldies, such as mine will leave any plant alone wheras some will eat anything and everything, but your advice about broad leaf plants and pebbles to stop uprooting is exactly what I always tell people.

Thanks for the replies :D

The tank is 80cm X too narrow X too high
pressurised co2
Tetratec 700
very low light (waiting for the new luminaire to be delivered) and then it will be full EI like my other tank :D
Here's a few more pics :)

DSCI0468.jpg

DSCI0461.jpg

DSCI0449.jpg

There was a gravel pathway through the middle but has got a bit overgrown, once i get around to digging that pond for the Goldfish i'll be able to give tbis a rescape :D

That's fantastic! What are you planning on putting in there once the goldfish go into a pond?

DevUK said:
What temperature do you keep the tank at? Would be interested in finding the common ground between warm enough for the plants and not too warm for my goldfish.

Goldfish, like koi, do very well at tropical temperatures. The problem is really with the fact that the higher temperature speeds up their metabolism meaning they need more oxygen (they generally need more of this than tropicals anyway) and will produce more waste. Many koi keepers now heat their ponds to above 20oC during the summer to make sure the fish grow rapidly and keep young fish in growing on ponds inside heated to that temperature all winter.

tropicman said:
gorgeous tank mate , whats the stocking part from the obvious goldfish lol :p

Thanks, apart from the 5 Goldfish there are 3 big Buenos Aires Tetras (2 of them albinos) expelled from the big tank for plant nipping, 1 Fake Siamensis sentenced to life for bullying and 2 Ottos because it's the law :lol: Oh and not forgetting 3 Nerites.

Azaezl said:
That's fantastic! What are you planning on putting in there once the goldfish go into a pond?

Thanks i love yours too, i bet the Goldfish love that sand :)
not thought about the next scape yet as the pond feels like a long way off at the moment :rolleyes:
Anyone fancy coming to a pond digging party (bring your own shovel)... no i thought not :lol:

DevUK said:
What temperature do you keep the tank at? Would be interested in finding the common ground between warm enough for the plants and not too warm for my goldfish.

Eds is right they seem to love it in the low 20's (although sometimes it will be warmer because we have our central heating up so high :rolleyes: ) but they will need regular water changes to keep up with their increased metabolism, my usual 50% per week seems to be more than enough :)

Arana said:
Azaezl said:

not thought about the next scape yet as the pond feels like a long way off at the moment :rolleyes:
Anyone fancy coming to a pond digging party (bring your own shovel)... no i thought not :lol:

I will...

Arana said:

Yeah the goldies love it. I don't think I'll ever go back to gravel not after the few close shaves I've had with goldies getting unusually large bits stuck in their mouths.

I dig your pond you dig mine :p I'm definately going to have a pond at some point, if we end up staying in this house rather then moving then I'll be going for a very large pond as the garden has plenty of space.

Azaezl said:
I dig your pond you dig mine :p I'm definately going to have a pond at some point, if we end up staying in this house rather then moving then I'll be going for a very large pond as the garden has plenty of space.

Have Shovel, Will Travel :lol: maybe when the weather warms up a bit i will ask for volunteers

Save yourself a lot of time and hassle and get a little bobcat digger and large skip and have the job done in two days - great fun too!

Back