• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted Ripariums

Really lovely :D

That's all I need. Another addiction 8)

I tried something like this a little while ago but all of the plants above the water seemed to shrivel and die as if the heat from the lamp killed them, how do you stop your plants from wilting?

That crypts tank is covered with a glass canopy to retain humidity. The crypts and Anubias in there really need high humidity.

2-ix-09-crypts-tank-i-m.jpg

These riparium tanks really are pretty easy to set up and maintain. Since most of the plants are emersed, one can have a nice bright green display without having to inject extra CO2. I use short, low-tech plants, such as crypts, for the underwater area.

Hey Mark thanks I hope my tanks will look as good as yours someday.

I finally started to save image data as RAW + jpg. I had been putting it off for such a long time because I knew it would take much more computer memory and some more post-processing time. That shot above is the jpeg right out of the camera with saturation adjusted a little bit. Here is my best shot with adjustment of the RAW file with Photoshop.

2-ix-09-crypts-tank-ii-m.jpg

...a fish tank, with a nice green salad on top.

The brightness and contrast are better represented, but the colors are all screwed up. I played around for a while, but the "auto" white balance with the camera jpeg was the only version that looked right. I need to get back to it.

Hey I'd love to send you the Riparium Supply stuff if you can ever make the time and space for a riparium display.

Here is a quick shot from last night of my South America biotope setup.

scratch-3-ix-09.jpg

That image is the "scratch" version. I'll come back later with a better file.

Wow just read through all this thread,now these setups have got me thinking this is what I could do with my big setup,less maintainance,no co2,less water changes,next year will be when I am going to strip my big tank down so that gives me plenty of time to learn all I can about these ripariums,
thanks for showing us
regard john

Themuleous said:
Loving the ech's at the back right, with their emersed growth leaves :)

Sam

That is Echinodorus cordifolius. It is the best swordplant that I have found for this so far. Many other Echnidorus have a tendency to grow underwater-form leaves (which don't look right, and dry up in the air) when grown emersed in low/moderate light, but cordifolius always hangs onto the emersed-form leaves. My 'Tropica Marble Queen' is behaving well too and is a beautiful plant. I think that is is a variety of cordifolius.

there seems to be an absense of riparium shops in the UK, im after a basket or something so i can grow some plants (probably a sword) out of the water. (whether it will survive? - i think i will have to spray mist it???)

where can i get some suplies?

I used one of the 'baskets' that the Tropica and Aquafleur plants come in. Just cut out one or two 'joins' where you want to put in a sucker to attach it to the glass - works a treat! I have some Java fern in mine which helps to slow down the return from an over-head filter in one of my 31 litre tanks. It's growing really well :D

You could also make a floating collar with some Foam Pads from ebay :)

Last night while servicing the 455-litre Mexico river tank I was so pleased to discover this...

8-ix-09-hymenocallis-i-m.jpg

These are spider lily (Hymenocallis) blooms. I have had this plant for a couple of years and it has only flowered a few times, but it's worth the wait. These will only last for just a day or so. The plant will probably go dormant for a few months now. I will remove it to a cool, dry and dark spot, then put it back in the tank again in late winter.

Here is a shot of the whole tank from a few months ago...

20-vi-09-tank-ii-b.jpg

If you look in the upper right you will see a pair of rain lily (Zephyranthes) blooms.

Thanks very much. This bloom only lasted a couple of days. I did not detect any fragrance.

I think I already posted this shot in the journal thread, but since I have these flower pictures here I post again this picture of the ladies' tresses orchid, Spiranthes cernua var. odorata, that's going right now in my tank at home.

29-ix-09-spiranthes-cernua-var-odorata-i-m.jpg

I just tore down my 65-gallon tank. I think I posted a couple of shots over in the journal thread for that tank. I took a few extra pictures of the Colocasia fallax 'Silver Dollar' taro when I yanked it out.

3-x-09-colocasia-fallax-silver-dollar-iii-m.jpg

This plant has such attractive leaves.

A while back I took apart the scape in my 80-litre riparium in order to make some room for some plants that I wanted to propagate. I had a few different stem plants that I situated in there with hanging and floating riparium planters. I wasn't really trying for a coherent aquascape, but the plants grew in pretty nice. Here is a view into the tank from above...

14-x-09-tank-ii-b.jpg

I haven't really been tending this setup as a display, so the underwater area is dingy. I have a few fish in there along with some crypts and also algae. I might try to tidy it up so that I can get a full-tank shot.

Back