• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

planted tank filter turnover

fourmations

hi guys

i have read differing accounts on the ideal turnover filter rates for planted tanks

I was pretty sure 10 times was the usual requirement
but read to the contrary on the web the other day
saying you want a low 3x turnover

I have a 1200lph filter that i got with my 100l
it is very powerful,

Can anyone clarify this for me

Thanks

My understanding is that you want a good flow to make sure that all nutrients and CO2 are distributed to all parts of the tank. You could do this with a smaller filter and one or two powerheads strategically placed to get water flow to every part of your tank, but as a lot of people like to have as little equipment as possible in their tanks, a much larger filter is usually called for, with good outlets (ie lilly pipes) to get good flow distribution.

Edit: If you have dead spots you're more likely to get algae in those areas. The flow also keeps detritus suspended so it hopefully gets sucked into the filter, and also gets any amonia from rotting dead leaves moving instead of lingering causing algae to flare up.

Hi steve

thanks for that info,

any idea on the turnover rate required,

i dont really fancy the filter i got
its an azoo 1200lph which is small and powerful (probably too powerful)
it also holds very little media

there is a second hand fluval 305 available to me at a good price
would this be too powerful also?

rgds and thanks

If I remember correctly, the Fluval 305 is rated around 1200lph. This would be ideal :)

You might find the out flow seems too strong, but it's all about getting it positioned well and getting that water distribution working well.

Back