• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted tank help

William broadley

Seedling
Hi all,
great website, fantastic to be able to ask questions and get responses from like minded people, with real experience. Im now 4 months into my first planted aquarium and have got to the point were I need guidance to get the results I really want. I'm willing to put the effort in but just seems to get the same results.
Struggling with algea and deficiencies in plant mass.
Please see attached images of my tank.
Thanks in advance,

Set up is as followed,

Juwel lido 200l
Built in LED light 2x 14w multiflux unit ( lights on for 7hrs reduced from 8)
Internal 600 I/h filter
External 307 fluval canister filter
Ehiem 350 surface skimmer
Koralia circulation pump 900l/h

Substrate is 4 cm of tetra complete substrate and topped off with tetra gravel and 4cm.

Tank temperature is 24c
pH is 7.6 - 7.9
KH is 6 / GH 10 using conditioned and de- gassed tap water, WC currently is 40% every Sunday. ( degrassed in 25l containers for 24hrs with air pump) ph of tap water increases from 7.2 - 7.8

Tank water quality
API test indicate nitrate of 40 - 60
Phosphate 0.5 /1.0 hard to tell
Dosing tnc complete at recommended dose after water change, plus half dose of aqua one iron supplement.
Neo plants root tabs ( Aquario)
Not dosing any alternative CO2

Fish stock is;
8 neon tetra
6 Amono shrimp
2 bamboo shrimp
2 nitrite snails - had 6 but laying so many eggs
2 Malaysia algea eaters
5 cory catfish
6 rosy tetra
All above seem happy and in good condition.

Attachments

• 20200209_155746.jpg
    20200209_155746.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 362
  • 20200209_155703.jpg
    20200209_155703.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
  • 20200209_155641.jpg
    20200209_155641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209
  • 20200209_155617.jpg
    20200209_155617.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
  • 20200209_155834.jpg
    20200209_155834.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
  • 20200209_180812.jpg
    20200209_180812.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:
A few thoughts/questions.

- looks like mainly too higher light compared to lack of co2. When not using co2 you need to find the balance.

- more plants will always help, especially floating plants.

- lose the power head, you don’t need it.

- would be worth going to aquarium gardens, only half an hour from you (not an advert, just doesn’t make sense not to!). I assume you picked your root tabs up there.

- your gh will be about 18, KH 12, ph 8.2 out of the tap. Don’t worry about testing.

S.

Thanks for the replay siege. Aquarium gardens is the place I get all my plants and supplies from. I will remove my power head, only added because I believe I needed more flow at the back of my tank. I did try floating plants but they get push around the tank due to flow from outlets. Do you think that my lights are too powerful, they seem weak. I have read that maybe to two smaller light periods instead of one might be better.
Thanks
Will

What kind of floating plants would you recommend and should I decrease outlet flow. The skimmer will not be needed if floating plants are used? Would this help with co2 displacement

Hi all,
Should I remove some of the slow growing plants and replace with fast stem plants.
more plants will always help, especially floating plants.
No, don't remove any of the plants, you <"need more plants"> as @Siege says.
What kind of floating plants would you recommend
<"Any floating plant"> is really useful, because it isn't CO2 limited and can give you an <"indication of nutrient level">. I called this method, of using a floating "canary", the <"Duckweed Index"> and my "Duckweed" of choice is Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum).

I use Ceratophyllum demersum (Hornwort or Foxtail) a lot as my "stem" plant, <"it is a sub-surface floater">.
aqua one iron supplement
I'm not familiar with this one. Because of where you live you may need an iron source that is <"more suitable for hard water">.

Click on the linked threads for some pictures and more information.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.
Went to aquarium gardens today and decided that I will struggle to achieve what I want from my current setup, if I add the floating plants and others plants mentioned it will definitely help, which the shop workers agreed with, but then it changes what i first started out to achieve. So with their help I will move over to injected co2 and change some of the plants while adding more plants.

I will keep you updated but not sure where to post it.
Thanks.

Back