• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted tank + sump

Rasmusm

Hi guys.
I was thinking of a new aquarium maybe 360l and a 108l sump that means ~30% biomass. I would guess that a filter that size would eat up some of the nutriens my plants will need? Or what do you think, will be dosing EI so I dont think it will be a problem.

Reason I'm going for a sump setup is to make life and maintenance easier for my self. Old tank was a 530l and with 2x eheim 2080 on. But I kinda hated lifting the two 2080 out on the bathroom to clean em up, and the tubings aswell.. So thats the reason for it :)

Tank will be hightech and prolly with hqi lighting on and co2. Have to find a way to make the sump setup/overflow silent so I dont loose too much co2 that way.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this, why or why not to sump a tank

Regards Rasmus
Denmark

Hi,
I don't see where the problem is. 360L + 108L = 468L right? So the dosing regime would be calculated for anywhere from a 400L to 500L tank (if it was me I'd use the 500 figure.) Did I misinterpret something?

You shouldn't have any trouble selling your 2080s, that's for sure mate! Legendary. :clap:

Cheers,

look at the x-aqua or there's a cheaper equivilent overflows and returns. They're designed for the marine world but no reason they shouldn't be usable for freshwater too (this is something i'm considering on one of the littler tanks too)

Thanks will look into that, but I guess I'll be using the regular overflow pvc tubings, not sure about the design yet. And the design of the sump.. I hoped that there was a few on here that could share out some experiences with a sump :) and how to create it the best way. Theres so many ways to make it and so many opinions on it, only making me more confused hehe.. This is my first time with a sump though, never tried it before so kinda exiting about it.
Also I would worrie a bit about the overflows making much noise from the water falling down the tubes, and out gassing alot of important co2 ?

Yeh, the 2080s are great filters! Best Ive ever had. They are doing an amazing job on a 530l tank.
But I like the idea of not having any filters to lift of for cleaning every other month. Also a sump would make the tank look better, by not having all the green eheim stuff all over the tank :p!

Last thing, I was thinking of having a huge return pump like 5000-6000l/h ~1600gph. For great filtration, and to avoid powerheads not sure I can but will give it a try.
I thought of having a huge 1" spraybar along the rear glass, pointing to the front glass. I belive this is a good way to get co2 all around the tank

Noise and evaporation seem to be of concern but I understand you can reduce that a bit by using a tight fitting lid with a small breather hole. Lots of examples on the net but most tend to be for marine setups. Would like to see some pics when yours is up and running though.

Sure I will post em here.
It will for sure be the new akvastabil series from Denmark called Mark II - http://www.farmlandshop.dk/product/akva ... salt-3167/

They have a finished product there with a sump. But I dont quite like that sump setup.. If overflow / drain gets clogged the return pump will eventually empty the whole sump into the tanks :s And my guess is flood... So will have to make a few baffles my self I think to avoid that problem. Talked to them earlier and they will make a sump of my choice If I want to. So that part is cool.
Other than that, the overall design of the tanks are great! My old 530l mark II was 12mm glass :bored: heavy bastart!
Also for the marine versions, they have cut out some of the wood in rear of the cabinet and on the front flooor thing to have good air flow going in there

Back