• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting Aponogeton Madagascariensis

Voo

I've recently purchased this plant, but no idea how i'm meant to plant it. It looks to have grown funny, but i don't want to bury the side shoots that appear to be growing from the bulb.

The main plant is on the left end, yet there's 2 shoots growing at the top right.

Any ideas how i can plant this?

Thanks

img4809a.jpg

Bury as much of the roots in the substrate and leave the rhizome half buried with all the shoots above the substrate. Personally I like to leave a lot of the rhizome above the substrate if I can and just anchor it with the roots.

Thanks Ed, didn't think of this as a rhizome. It was a bulb, so i buried my other one.

Should i chop off the bottom leaf on the left then to plant it? It's pointing downwards as show in the picture. The main shoots are at a 90 degree angle to the other shoots :crazy:

Voo said:
Thanks Ed, didn't think of this as a rhizome. It was a bulb, so i buried my other one.

Should i chop off the bottom leaf on the left then to plant it? It's pointing downwards as show in the picture. The main shoots are at a 90 degree angle to the other shoots :crazy:

I'd leave it on and leave it lying on the substrate; it will soon move round into a more upright position.

The differences between rhizomes, bulbs, corms and tubers are mainly botanical technicalities and they all do the same function really - to store energy reserves for the plant.

Back