Planting Aponogeton Madagascariensis

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Voo, 3 Nov 2009.

1. Voo

Voo Member

I've recently purchased this plant, but no idea how i'm meant to plant it. It looks to have grown funny, but i don't want to bury the side shoots that appear to be growing from the bulb.

The main plant is on the left end, yet there's 2 shoots growing at the top right.

Any ideas how i can plant this?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Bury as much of the roots in the substrate and leave the rhizome half buried with all the shoots above the substrate. Personally I like to leave a lot of the rhizome above the substrate if I can and just anchor it with the roots.

3. Voo

Voo Member

Thanks Ed, didn't think of this as a rhizome. It was a bulb, so i buried my other one.

Should i chop off the bottom leaf on the left then to plant it? It's pointing downwards as show in the picture. The main shoots are at a 90 degree angle to the other shoots :crazy:

4. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Plant it like you plant a water lilly in a pond, leave the crown exsposed or itll rott, just bury the roots with a rock anchor. wrapp roots around the rock half way then bury that aswell just to help it stay down while its shoots new roots.

5. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I'd leave it on and leave it lying on the substrate; it will soon move round into a more upright position.

The differences between rhizomes, bulbs, corms and tubers are mainly botanical technicalities and they all do the same function really - to store energy reserves for the plant.