Planting Eleocharis Acicularis question

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by CeeJay, 30 Nov 2009.

1. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi all.

I am having a rescape at the moment and need to pick your brains about the best way to plant Eleocharis Acicularis.
    I have read conflicting information about whether to cut it right down to 1" high to start with, or do I trim off the top 1" :?.
    I was just wondering what you guys with the experience do.
    The stuff I have got was purchased submerged so the transition has already taken place.
    Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

2. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Hi Chris

I cut it down to about 1" remaining, and planted it in small clumps of just a few stems - the thinner you plant it, the quicker it will fill the area you want it to :D

3. glenn

glenn Member

sory to hijack but would you use the same technique for Eleocharis parvula? :D

4. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi Tonser

Thanks for the reply. I'll do that then.

Glenn
    From what I can see between the Acicularis and Parvula they appear to be very similar, so I would have thought the same technique would apply. But as you may have worked out from the opening post, I'm no expert on this particular plant ............yet :lol:

Chris

5. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

No problem Chris :D

Hi Glenn, I havent used Parvula yet, but I'd go along with Chris's reasoning too :thumbup:

Tony

6. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi Tonser
    Well I planted it like you advised and cut it all down to 1" high and the growth rate in the first week has been phenomenal.
    Already showing signs that it's starting to spread and some strands have grown 2", and it's only been planted a week :wideyed:

Showing early signs of spreading.
    IMG_3091.jpg

There's one strand to the rear right of this photo that I'm sure wants to live on the moon :lol:
    IMG_3098.jpg

Anyway many thanks for your sound advice.

Chris