• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting scheme

dkm

Hi,

Following on from my scaping thread I am also trying to work out my planting. This is what I have so far. The tall rock on the right will be sloping to the left once I have stuck the three pieces together!

plantingscheme.jpg

Right the background I want is Vallisneria Nana grown right up to water surface.
Foreground probably be Hemianthus callitrichoides HC. With Eleocharis parvula were indicated in the colored in picture above. (see key in diagram)

My question to you guys is:

Where the diagram shows white shading I want it to be heavily planted. I want just different shades of green. High at the back and getting shorter towards the front. I also want the tall rock structure to be approx 3/4's covered when looking from the front.
I will be running pressurized CO2 controlled on a pH controller. Lighting will be medium intensity. Substrate is ADA power sand special with Amazonian AquaSoil. Fert will be mix of TPN and TPN+. Aquarium dimensions are 150cm L x 50cm W x 60cm H (water level approx 56cm).

Can anyone suggest what plants would be good for this aquarium? I do like thin leaved plants and do like Swords too, so would like to incorporate these into the design if possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Just a bit stuck which plants would be good choice.

Cheers

Dave

PS:

Forgot to ask.

I plan on using Tropica plants. If buying the standard sizes how big an area would one pot of each of the three plants shown in the picture cover?

Cheers again

Dave

Hi Dave

Something simple like E.Tennelus might be nice in your white shaded area - the thin leaves will sit well with the background plants, and height should be about right. If you can get it to turn towards red that'll give you antoher bit of colour too.

As for no of pots I wouldnt like to guess, but it'll certainly be alot, unless you are very patient with letting the HC grow and cover - its a big tank you have :D

Tony

Cheers Tony,

Thanks for that. Will add it to my list of possible plants. Well I just thinking how much area would one pot of HC cover then I could work out roughly how much for the whole thing. It is going to be alot! I am prepared for the quantity! Also how many individual plants would you get in a single 'pot' of V. nana. Again I could work it out from that. If that makes sense.

So my list so far is:

E. tennelus
Shinnersia rivularis 'Weiss-Grün'
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata ''Cuba''
Limnophila sessiliflora
Limnophila aquatica
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Ceratophyllum demersum 'Foxtail'
Bacopa monnieri
Echinodorus quadricostatus

Wont be using all of them just a list of possibles. Anything in this list inapropriate or any more that you would consider?

Cheers

Dave

Back