• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants and fish

elaineandsparky

Seedling
Hi all. I used to have a 5 ft tropical tank but had to make room for a new business but have managed to squeeze a 2 ft tank in :) I have stumbled into the world of planted aquarium and love the idea. Still doing research but all the pics I have seen on Google show planted aquariums with just a few fish in. Is this just by choice or can't you have lots of fish in a planted aquarium?

You can have as many fish in a planted tank as in a non planted tank. But the combination of high light, high CO2 and lots of fish is a risky one algae-wise.

If your aim is high bioload then youll be better off with very low light and easy plants. Youd also need good oxygenation.

Yes, you can have more fish in a planted tank than often seen. Most people choose not to do that to give the tank a more open look and the fish just brings it more to life (like a flog of birds in the sky), if however you would make a more jungle look (or nature look), it is very nice to have some more different fish species swimming in it. Google "Amano nature aquarium" for some nice examples, especially the once he made in Tokyo.

Back