• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants breaking down

Yazhini

Seedling
Hi guys ... Pls find the image where my plant tips are broken.. is it due to siamese algae Eater or some other deficiency??? I'm also battling with green hair algae... Monte Carlo has become light green... Pls help with this 2 problem..once I got bio film so to remove it I created surface agitation using lily pipes..not sure whether my CO2 is escaping coz of it... I remember this algae started after giving surface agitation or might be due to small rescaping I did...

Attachments

• tapatalk_-1091246523_391x391.jpeg
    tapatalk_-1091246523_391x391.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20210211_092932.jpg
    IMG_20210211_092932.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20210209_100041.jpg
    IMG_20210209_100041.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20210209_093253__01.jpg
    IMG_20210209_093253__01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
Hi guys ... Pls find the image where my plant tips are broken.. is it due to siamese algae Eater or some other deficiency??? I'm also battling with green hair algae... Monte Carlo has become light green... Pls help with this 2 problem..once I got bio film so to remove it I created surface agitation using lily pipes..not sure whether my CO2 is escaping coz of it... I remember this algae started after giving surface agitation or might be due to small rescaping I did...
Hi,
It's always unclear when analyzing damaged plant structure whether it's due to animal predation or to CO2, but the presence of hair algae as well as biofilm leaves no doubt that there is a CO2 issue happening. It might be due to your agitation, but it also might have been inevitable due to some other fault. I'm 10,000 miles away so I cannot say with certainty.

The biofilm was your first indicator that something was terribly wrong with either CO2 or nutrients, or both. Then you added the agitation which may have reduced the CO2 even more, so the situation is made worse.

What I can say for certain, though, is that you should consider obtaining a few tools to help you to get a better idea of how the CO2 is behaving in the tank.

For example do you have a dropchecker? How about a pH meter (preferred) or at least a pH test kit?
What time of day does the gas turn on? What time do the lights come on? How is the gas being controlled - automatic timer, manually?

What is the pH of the water when the gas is first turned on? What is the pH when the lights go on?
Do you have local access where you live to liquid carbon, such as Seachem Excel or Easycarbo? These products, used responsibly, can help at least in the short term.

In order to get a grip on any CO2 problem you need to know the answers to all of the above questions, because CO2 is THE most difficult aspect of this hobby.

Here, check this post which describes the mechanism of surface scum: Surface Film

Cheers,

Back