• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants dieing

I'm no expert but I've read enough to know that it's quite common for crypts to die right back then start sprouting again.Also,the anubias,I'd be inclined to look for different reasons for it's die-back.Is it new?Did you trim it back or remove any dying leaves?Where did you get it,how have you planted it,and has it healthy root system?
I'm only asking this as I read somewhere that someone was sending out anubias 'cuttings' with 3/4 leaves on each part but no mention of rhizome.

i am using a nutrafin pH tester with a range of 4.5-9.0 and a ph adjust up by the same company. i have double checked i am doing this test correctly fill with 5ml of water to the line on the test tube and adding 4 drops of reagent. the plants were from the green machine and the first died (the wood covered in white fur was removed) after 3 days and now the other plant are suffering.

picks
SDC11325.jpg

SDC11326.jpg

SDC11327.jpg

mattyc said:
...i am using a nutrafin pH tester with a range of 4.5-9.0 and a ph adjust up by the same company...
Well, it sounds like you're performing the test properly, but a tap output of 5 sounds very unusual. I can't think of anything in your pipework that would pull down the water pH that much unless you are using some kind of water conditioner add-on or water softener or other product. I'd have to now question the validity of that particular kit reagent. You may want to try adding you pH buffer to the tap water samples to see if the kit immediately registers a pH increase in the test sample.

In any case the first think I would suggest is that you stop adding pH buffer to your tank, period. These are real troublemakers and are not doing your fish or your plants any good.

As Goodygumdrops says, crypts can sometimes suffer meltdown after submersion and then recovers after a few days, sending out new leaves.

Cheers,

I agree with Clive - there is something wrong with this test kit. I would be tempted to take a water sample to a good LFS and ask them to test it for you. They should have new test kits that they use fairly regularly and so you will know you have the right results. Your LFS should also know about the tap water in your area way more than we can as well.

pH buffers are a complete waste of money I'm afraid. They can artificially stabilise the pH until their capacity runs out when the pH can change fairly quickly. What you need to do is sort out why you pH is lowering and, if there is any problem then a water change (assuming your tap water is not the problem of course!) is always the best solution as fresh water will have it's own buffering capacity and removing the old water from the tank will remove any acids or pollution in the tank.

i have removed the plants from the tank to clean them up and remove dead leaves, the test kit is new only as old as the tank! the buffers change the coular of the test. i will get a diffrent kit and test again.

mattyc said:
i have removed the plants from the tank to clean them up and remove dead leaves, the test kit is new only as old as the tank! the buffers change the coular of the test. i will get a diffrent kit and test again.

The problem is the kits might have been sitting on the shelf at the shop for ages though! Or there could simply be a bad batch. If you take a sample of water to your local fish store to test it as they should have kits they use for their testing that they know will be working correctly as they will have used them on their tanks or water. Their local advice if there is some issue with the local water supply could be useful too.

i have been round to the local aquatics shop (on the road next to my house less than 5 min walk) and they have a water ph of about 5 and a gh of at most 40.

The you should both report your water authority to the European commission!!!

I would contact the water authority in question to ask them why the Ph is not within the guidelines. You may get some useful information on why it isn't and maybe it is temporary!!

AC

i have added some coral sand to the tank which was recomended by the shop to increse the gh and stablise the ph.

Back