• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for an Amazon Biotope

michael.c

Seedling
I am new to the UKAPS (been observing, plotting and planning). I want to plant my RIO 240 as an Amazon style biotope and would like your opinions on the plants and the amounts I will need to buy to ensure a nice effect from the off. So far my list is:

Alternanthera reinecki "Red"
Lilaeopsis novae zelandiae
Echinodorus Osirus
Echinodorus tenellus
Echinodorus latifolius
Heteranthera zosteraefolia
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Mayaca fluviatilis
Myriophyllum elatinoides

Add to that Amazon Swords, mosses for the bog wood and some Crypts I think! :D

With mosses and crypts, this wouldn't be an amazon biotope because the common forms of these species are from the other side of the world - Asia.

Hello Michael I'm planning to rebuild my south american tank at the moment and I was thinking about sticking to 2 or 3 species just cause I think this is more what you'd see in the wild, maybe even lots of one species!

From everything i've read it seems that plants and a lot of the popular Amazonian fish don't often live in the same habitat so i'm going to be bending the rules a bit! Maybe you could try selecting 3 species that are varied in size so you can still plant short species in the foreground the average sized ones in the middle and the lanky species at the back, this was one way I thought of getting a more natural look and still having a variety of plants.

Be good to see some photos once you've decided and got it up and running :D

Still planning, I have the tank but thats it so far. I would like to know how many of each specie to buy when I do though or I know I will get it all wrong :lol:

Back