• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants for goldfish tank

mac022

Seedling
Hello ! I'm a new member in this forum. My tank is small one with only around 60l water capacity, four gold fishes of 3 inches long, and a few plants such as anubias & java fern. I don't have a CO2 system, but have an external filter (300 l per hour) & lighting system 0.4 watt per litre. My tank substrate is gravel only, and water temp is around 26-28 degree C. Pls advise what other plants can co-exist with my gold fishes and they can consume a lot of plant nutrient & inhibit the growth of green / green blue algae. I'm grateful if someone can provide any relevant links which is worth my reading.

I thnk Anubias and Java Ferns are okay, like you already said. Moss might survive but don't count on it, the Goldfish might take a liking to it. Apart from that, the only other plant I can think of is Elodea Densa.

Thomas McMillan said:
I thnk Anubias and Java Ferns are okay, like you already said. Moss might survive but don't count on it, the Goldfish might take a liking to it. Apart from that, the only other plant I can think of is Elodea Densa.

Thomas, thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know if temperature plays a part in what plants can be kept? My son has started asking about a tank of his own, and I'm wondering about goldfish and plants. Will most plants do OK in a tank that's at room temperature?

How does temperature effect nutrient uptake and CO2 addition? It's been talked about light being the accelerator, but surely temperature is the overriding factor, it's just it's rarely changed.

Yes, low temperatures attenuate growth (for both plants and algae) and slows uptake but there is no need to be manic about it. Many people keep cold water fish with plants. Just take a look at Azaezl's goldfish tanks=> Azaezl's first journal; Multiple tanks

Of course compatibility is a function of plant and fish species but you should get a good idea of possible combination from her images.

Cheers,

Back