• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for Lake Inle tank?

magpie

Dear all

I have a 90 x 75 x 45 tank that I'm trying to plan. I was aiming for an Amano planted tank, medium tech (luminaires and glutaraldehyde) - but having tested the local water and found that it's basically liquid chalk (pH 7.5, dH 15, nitrates 30ppm), I began to look at other interesting fish that might quite like it...

and came across the Lake Inle inhabitants which seem to cope with that kind of chemistry: microrasbora rubescenes, Danio erhythromiconr, Sawba Resplendens, yunnalnilus brevis loach and Inlecypri auropurpureus. Not sure about the last one 'cos it jumps and I wasn't planning a lid... but that apart, it might be interesting to set up a tank along those lines...

which means I need 'heavy planting' with lots of sand substrate. So I'm wondering what to plant? Does anyone know what comes from that area? Or else, what grows well in liquid chalk?

thanks

m

I don't see anything in those water specifications that's in any way problematic. Virtually any fish found at your LFS and virtually any plant not named Tonina will be fine in that water, as long as you keep it clean.

12-14dKH, 15-17GH, Nitrate at least 60ppm. pH 7.3 just prior to gas ON, 6.2-6.5 during peak CO2 injection.
Rams were breeding in this tank.
What's the big deal? People really need to get over all this water parameter hysteria. It's just not advancing the hobby at all.
2066860170038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

OK - I'll go for clean... I guess this is a meme spread by people who want to sell me RO units.... :) I'm very happy indeed not to go for that.

thanks
m

Back