• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants for soft water

Lozbug

I’ve had a peruse through 'plantsalive' trying to find plants suitable for soft water. Matt recommended crypt’s (I think it was?) so any other recommendations?

Ta.v.much

L

Aside from Vallis and Elodea/Egeria I don't think there's much that won't thrive in soft water! I have lots of Swords, crypts, Nymphaea/Nuphar, Java ferns and various mosses all thriving in very soft water. As for stems I find Rotala wallichi, Myaca and cabomba thrive, but I'm sure most stems would too, I'm just not that interested in them, too much work!

I have very soft water and have grown quite a few different types of plants. I haven`t yet come across a stem that hasn`t thrived in my soft water.

I did struggle with Vallis at first, but it did adapt and start to show really good growth.

Dave.

Yeh vallis was the main one I kept trying and failing with (least I know why now!) George said about adding bicarb. I’ve not done this before, but can do.... and may try in just a plant set-up, no fish, just till I’m comfortable with adding things lol

But I reckon id rather just have suited plants. Thinking it maybe easier just have a list of 'non suitable' hehe.

Well, thanks guys! I shall keep on deciding what i'm after - like a child in a sweet shop this!
:)

It would obviously depend on what your lighting is, whether CO2 was added and what substrate you have but i would suggest rotala indica, hetranthera zosterifolia, crypts, and maybe worth trying some blyxa japonica.

Andy

Back