• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for Tubs - What are you trying?

tam

We were having an interesting discussion on fish for outdoor containers, so I was just wondering what everyone was planning regarding plants (above or below water)? I've got a rectangular 2.5' long tub and thinking a line of pots hooked along the back and a miniture water lily.

Last year I grew guppy grass in a tub with nothing but compost and a sand layer to cap it off it then grew like crazy over summer

Always wanted to try other plants just been to scared too if I'm honest

Attachments

• 20220119_135838.jpg
    20220119_135838.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
All mine are in a greenhouse, bar two.

I’m not paying much attention to them at the moment due to life changes, but…

All common floaters do well. Apart from Salvinia Natans, I think it’s a combination of too much humidity and low temps. I mainly keep frogbit in greenhouse and Pistia Stratiotes outside.

I have a couple of types of hornwort, one has a red stem and it’s a really nice plant. I keep all my Anubis’s in tubs in the greenhouse with varying success. I guess it’s fair to say my tubs are fish first. I do have a marigold growing out of the tubs too.

The outside tubs are really for live food cultivation, thank goodness, as they’re a magnet for some kind of hair algae. Algae has gone bonkers this year.

All mine are in a greenhouse, bar two.

I’m not paying much attention to them at the moment due to life changes, but…

All common floaters do well. Apart from Salvinia Natans, I think it’s a combination of too much humidity and low temps. I mainly keep frogbit in greenhouse and Pistia Stratiotes outside.

I have a couple of types of hornwort, one has a red stem and it’s a really nice plant. I keep all my Anubis’s in tubs in the greenhouse with varying success. I guess it’s fair to say my tubs are fish first. I do have a marigold growing out of the tubs too.

The outside tubs are really for live food cultivation, thank goodness, as they’re a magnet for some kind of hair algae. Algae has gone bonkers this year.
Yeah I found that with algae too but I did put a colony of blue shrimp out there just to see if I could breed them outside now I never see them amore as the plants have over grown the tub but there's hardly any algae compared to the tubs with out so my guess is there doing well in there

I have standard “cull” neocaridinia in my tubs, they do breed with the fish eat the shrimplets.

Back