• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for very shady area of tank

Epiphyte

Can anyone recommend a plant for a shady area of the tank? Poor hadscaping means there is an area of the tank that's in shade that I'd like to fill.

I have some Bolbitis which would suit the area, how does that do in low light/shade?

I nice patch of anubias looks great in the shade, it’s really a set and forget that can be placed anywhere. Attach it to a small rock if you don’t have a crevice to put it in and then stick it wherever. If it’s near the substrate level, those roots will crawl down into the substrate and then you’ll really see it thrive. Just because the rhizome can’t bury, doesn’t mean those hungry roots can’t!

Anubias will.live in almost darkness. Bolbitis will be ok in shade but won't grow fast or big. Some cryptocoryne species will also do well.

Thanks, there isn't a huge amount of space where they need to go so perhaps the Bolbitis will work.
The tank had plenty of Anubias so I'm trying to avoid adding more so it's not too samey.

Hi all,

<"It enjoys life">. I have <"very shady tanks">, so any of the plants <"in this list"> are pretty shade tolerant.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, lots of food reading there. I think Bolbitis should work, if not I'll get some crypts in various flavours.

Back