• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants from Hong Kong

Timms2011

Hiya All, I have family who live in Hong Kong a couple of train stops from Gold fish Market. My brother said he would send me plants if I would like them.

He said it would take a week to get them here, so would plants like Fissidens and Anubias petite survive for that long in a box or any other robust plants for that matter?

Thanks

A lot of plants from the cheaper plants sales (think plants alive etc) import weekly from international growers. I think they order the plants on a Thursday, and they arrive at them the following Tuesday or Wednesday, at that point they ship them out to the customers (you have to have ordered before the Wednesday to get your delivery in that shipment). Going by that, I'd say you should be able to get the plants sent without too much of an issue. Just bag them up as if they were a fish, except with no added water, just the water that is on the plant or in the pot when you take it out of the tank. Having them well sealed up like that will keep the condensation in and stop the plants drying out, while also giving them plenty of co2/o2 to stay alive.

A lot of plants from the cheaper plants sales (think plants alive etc) import weekly from international growers. I think they order the plants on a Thursday, and they arrive at them the following Tuesday or Wednesday, at that point they ship them out to the customers (you have to have ordered before the Wednesday to get your delivery in that shipment). Going by that, I'd say you should be able to get the plants sent without too much of an issue. Just bag them up as if they were a fish, except with no added water, just the water that is on the plant or in the pot when you take it out of the tank. Having them well sealed up like that will keep the condensation in and stop the plants drying out, while also giving them plenty of co2/o2 to stay alive.

Thank you Claire, just a guessing there's no legal import issues prohibiting me from importing aquatic plants from Hong Kong?

i think theirs a thread on hear somewhere with a list of plants that's banned from import by defra but i cant find it lol im sure someone will for you :)

for your info. it takes less than 24 hours to import between shipping and receiving ( you're talking about the time between ordering and receiving.) And yes there are legal issues importing plants without an import license and notifying Defra.

so save yourselves a lot of hassle those few pennies you save aren't worth committing a criminal offence. order from our forum sponsors without them we have no plants.

Maurits

It's only certain species that are banned on important which are invasive (mainly pond/coldwater) species. The majority of mosses that you buy online (especially the likes of fissidens) will come from asia.[DOUBLEPOST=1399920833][/DOUBLEPOST]Can't say anything against buying from the sponsors though since they keep this place going :)

Back