• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants from Java - A review

Lisa_Perry75

Following the article in PFK I decided to get some plants from Java. I'm not sure if I am allowed but I thought I would review my service as a whole.
I recieved what I ordered. All plants were separated into species and were labelled by name. All were packed very well although the quality of the plants variable. The Bacopa caroliana was quite far gone although I recieved one extra stem. The Crypto Wenditii I recieved 4 extra stems but many leaves had holes or were yellow. The hairgrass was flowering but I think the portion was a tad stingy, although I got rather alot of the dwarf hairgrass. It took about a week to come. I bought a single "african tiger lotus" which was completely crushed flat but now in my tank (currently without lighting atm) has perked up alot although the Bacopa has not done very well at all. The vallis torta arrived ok and has settled in ok. Postage cost £1.95.

I had no idea what I was ordering really, like how much 5 Crypts actually was. So I have ordered a few more from Greenline (god love credit cards eh!). Overall I don't think I would order from Java again.

Overall review
Selection - 9/10
Quality of plants - 5/10
Value for Money - 7/10 although it's cheap I have to replace some as they are dying
Postage speed - 6/10 I was warned about the time it takes but it still is too long in my mind
Postage wrapping - 8/10 the plants arrived wet :)
All in all 7/10

So far it seemed like the only online shops that sells quality plants besides those that deals with tropica is Greenline. Some of the plants traded here by hobbyist seemed to have far better quality than those online shops.

I imagine that to keep the price down they have order in bulk. If for whatever reason that particular species doesn't sell as quick as others then they sit in holding tanks. If these aren't optimum conditions then you get the plant on the decline.

Um no they don't actually (order in bulk). They tell you how they do it, they recieve all orders by a cut off point. Then they order what they need from the singapore suppliers. Blah blah blah then they send to you. (Have a look on their website for more info). Which is why I was suprised about the plants. They all looked a bit crushed. Like my spirits :lol:

Oh well! Seemed like a good guess at the time!

So they're just middle men then passing on the plants? What about greenline? Do they do the same?

i believe greenline do buy in bulk, then keep them in this country in holding tanks, so they can ship stuff out as and when its required, hence the much lower delivery time

Plants that came directly from far east were never in their best shape. Stems plants are the worst of all.Bought some didiplis diandra and rotala rotundifolia. They were so mashed up that I can't tell which part is facing upward and which part is the roots! Took a good few weeks to revive them in my tank. Only the crypt, blyxa and UG managed to survive the trip even if it's just 3 days. The packaging doesn't helped too. How on earth are the plants meant to survive in a vacuum bag?

Greenline also grow their own plants and keep them in large well-lit holding tanks so the plants are in great quality. I've always had great plants from them, though the size can vary depending on what they've been sent.

As well as getting Tropica plants from AE, if you're after a large order of plants I would also recommend AquaSpot World. Postage was expensive, but as everything is priced in US dollars, when converted to pounds it becomes great prices. See my thread of ordering from them.

Yes I saw that thread after ordering from Greenline :wideyed: I shall do a similar review for Greenline too for anyone not sure who to order from.

Hi Guys, I don't think i really need to say this but please don't go "bashing" the companies if you get a duff delivery. Just use a bit of tact, i know most of you will anyway but i don't want UKaps getting a rep for supplier bashing.
I do heartily agree about Java BTW, once was enough for me....

Hi Dan,
Sorry this was supposed to be a fair review, if this is too close to 'bashing' then please feel free to delete the thread. I wasn't sure as I did put the positives and scored statistically.

I think its good to make companies aware that their services are not great and try to improve on them.
So that next time someone orders from them and posts an update in this thread saying something more positive ;)

LondonDragon said:
I think its good to make companies aware that their services are not great and try to improve on them.
So that next time someone orders from them and posts an update in this thread saying something more positive ;)

All Dan is asking is for, I believe, is for people to keep things civil and not start to be too hostile towards any company. Honest reviews are very welcome IMO.

eds said:
All Dan is asking is for, I believe, is for people to keep things civil and not start to be too hostile towards any company. Honest reviews are very welcome IMO.
Understood, a single delivery is not a 100% acurate review, something can always go wrong with a delivery and a person expectations also differ from one to another. Therefore its good to ear feedback from other people that ordered from them.

Dan and Eds - no offence meant or taken. Just wanted to make sure it's all ok.

To be perfectly fair to Java I haven't actually complained to them, so how do they even know there is a problem? They have not had a chance to rectify the issues I have risen.

The post that I've written earlier on refer to aquaspot actually. It's true that the stem plants do grow after being in your tank but it's always a little dissapointing when you first received a bag of mushy plants. Not to mentioned it takes more than 3 weeks to grow the plant back to decent viewable plant stock....

Back