• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants getting holes and going brown at tips.

Katfish

Over the last week or so my plants are getting holes in them and some of them are going brown at the ends.

I am dosing EI and CO2 via injection

CO2 is always in the bright green.

Dosing at a rate of

SUN,TUE,THUR
2 tsp Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
¾ tsp Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)
5 ½ tsp Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4)

MON,WED
¾ tsp TNC Trace

FRI,SAT
Day off

SUNDAY 50% WC
Tank is 850ltr
4 x 54w t5 Lamps (iQuatics Tropical Tubes with reflectors)
Lights on 8hrs (12pm-8pm)
Substrate is silica sand with 24 fert tabs placed near the plants.

The only thing I have done is planted a few more plants over the last few weeks.

hey kat, holes in the leaves is a sure sign of insufficient co2, since you have added more plants and your current plant mass has increased you need to look at the quantity you inject and/or distrubution.
Try not to focus on the DC too much, its a very rough guide, i really only use mine to see if something is wrong ie co2 not coming on. Use the plants and fauna to measure where you need to be.

that can only be a good thing then as long as it isnt a washing machine in there. That being the case it is either the amount that you inject or how it is distributed. If your home for a day try increasing it slightly but keep an eye out for any distress, is the fish behave oddly, hide away or go to the surface then then knock it back down and focus on the flow pattern (do both anyway)
Crypts seem to be particularly prone to holes especially as they get older IME, holes wont ever heal so trim the damaged leaves away and see if new holes appear after you have had a fiddle.
:thumbup:

ah just thought of something else I changed

I put a timer on the co2 to go off over night.

Maybe that being such a large tank I am not getting the right co2 build up when the lights are on and the co2 indicator is not reacting quick enough to let me know they is not enough in there.

Could this be it ?

Back