Plants ID Please

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by bigpig, 4 Jul 2009.

1. bigpig

bigpig Newly Registered

hi can anyone tell me what these plants are? one in bad shape hofully I can bring it round :D
    IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg

2. mattyc

mattyc Member

3. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Still loking for the other one

Regards
    paul

4. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi,the first plant is microsorum pteropus,and the second one looks like echinodorus uruguayensis,

Regards john.

5. bigpig

bigpig Newly Registered

Thanks the id look right :)
    The Java fern trew me off because the way the leafs are.

6. 8ball

8ball Newly Registered

first one definately looks like microsorium but not seen the forked leaves before :?
    however, there are several cultivated varieties of m. pteropus - will keep looking for this one 'cos i like it :D
    can you get any more pic's of it ?

quite sure the second one is not echinodorus uruguayensis tho'
    i was trying to grow this recently (but not very successfully :arghh: )
    needs more space than i could give it !!

think it might be aponogeton crispus, but looks 'below it's best' condition ( :( )
    leaf shape might not be truely representative

is it growing from a bulb ?

7. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

The first one is Bolbitis heteroclita, i only know because i've recently bought this for my tank, otherwise i'd be none the wiser :lol: .

It is a very long plant which has large leaves which grow into three. The link is where i bought it from, but the pictures don't really do it justice.

http://www.aquaspotworld.com/index.php? ... il&pid=182

8. swackett

swackett Member

Just to put my two penneth worth in.

I think the first plant is microsorum pteropus rather than Bolbitis heteroclita. The reason I say this is with the Java fern there is one leave growing from the stem and this one leave grows into three prongs (leaf shapes). With the Bolbitis each of the 3 leaves grow from the stem.

I have a Java fern at home that looks just like the picture posted.

Hope this helps

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i agree with Dan, i had his a few year back labelled as bolbitis "malaya"

10. swackett

swackett Member

11. Jase

Jase Member

I'm sure the first plant is NOT M.pteropus, the leaves appear too wide and there is no evidence of black spots to the undersides. Also, it appears there are thre parts to the main leaf in the photo, and this doesn't occur on any Java Fern I've seen :?

12. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

The first plant is Microsorum pteropus, or at least the fern sold as such in the hobby. It may not actually be that species. It is not that uncommon to have leaves that fork as yours has, either from some damage or something else. I have ones in my tanks that often do the same. It doesn't make them a different species.

Bolbotis heteroclita has three distinct leaflets growing from a 'stem' without the fronding on the edges. I've also found it much harder to keep growing happily submersed.

13. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Yep, that first plant is Microsorum Pteropus.
    I echo Ed's comments it may be a different variety. Out of the half a dozen java ferns I have had, I had an aquafleur java fern that regularly chucked out those tri shaped leaves.

On the second plant.... I also bought the exact same second plant recently (from MA,Hawley) and they said 'oh yeah that one is definitely a cryptocoryne' but they had no idea which one.

EDIT - mine was in the same condition as yours, if not a little worse. Get it out the pot, pull off all the dead leaves (if they don not pull off easy they are not dead!). scrape\wipe any soft tissue and dead roots off the rhizome. trim the white roots with a sharp knife\scissors. Plant it and hopefully it will spring into life straight away like mine did.

14. gratts

gratts Member

Aquafleur do a couple of different varieties of Microsorum Pteropus. The regular, and then another which looks like the one pictured. I'll try and find the name of it tomorrow.

15. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

I've had a closer look now at mine, and it definately categorically without a shadow of a doubt, most ineptly is not BH. ;)

16. bigpig

bigpig Newly Registered

The second plant am not quite sure I planted it right. It has like a hard stump with roots growing from it. Do I plant the stump ?

17. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Does it look like a bulb, if so, then only half plant the bulb and allow the roots to grow into the substrate.

18. bigpig

bigpig Newly Registered

Heres a photo
    IMG_0436.jpg

19. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Yep, looks like a bulb.

Nice pic btw. :D