• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants ID Please

bigpig

Seedling
hi can anyone tell me what these plants are? one in bad shape hofully I can bring it round :D
IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

bigpig said:
hi can anyone tell me what these plants are? one in bad shape hofully I can bring it round :D
IMG_0365.jpg

This one looks like Mircosorium pteropus

IMG_0366.jpg

Still loking for the other one

Regards
paul

Hi,the first plant is microsorum pteropus,and the second one looks like echinodorus uruguayensis,

Regards john.

Thanks the id look right :)
The Java fern trew me off because the way the leafs are.

first one definately looks like microsorium but not seen the forked leaves before :?
however, there are several cultivated varieties of m. pteropus - will keep looking for this one 'cos i like it :D
can you get any more pic's of it ?

quite sure the second one is not echinodorus uruguayensis tho'
i was trying to grow this recently (but not very successfully :arghh: )
needs more space than i could give it !!

think it might be aponogeton crispus, but looks 'below it's best' condition ( :( )
leaf shape might not be truely representative

is it growing from a bulb ?

Just to put my two penneth worth in.

I think the first plant is microsorum pteropus rather than Bolbitis heteroclita. The reason I say this is with the Java fern there is one leave growing from the stem and this one leave grows into three prongs (leaf shapes). With the Bolbitis each of the 3 leaves grow from the stem.

I have a Java fern at home that looks just like the picture posted.

Hope this helps

The first plant is Microsorum pteropus, or at least the fern sold as such in the hobby. It may not actually be that species. It is not that uncommon to have leaves that fork as yours has, either from some damage or something else. I have ones in my tanks that often do the same. It doesn't make them a different species.

Bolbotis heteroclita has three distinct leaflets growing from a 'stem' without the fronding on the edges. I've also found it much harder to keep growing happily submersed.

Yep, that first plant is Microsorum Pteropus.
I echo Ed's comments it may be a different variety. Out of the half a dozen java ferns I have had, I had an aquafleur java fern that regularly chucked out those tri shaped leaves.

On the second plant.... I also bought the exact same second plant recently (from MA,Hawley) and they said 'oh yeah that one is definitely a cryptocoryne' but they had no idea which one.

EDIT - mine was in the same condition as yours, if not a little worse. Get it out the pot, pull off all the dead leaves (if they don not pull off easy they are not dead!). scrape\wipe any soft tissue and dead roots off the rhizome. trim the white roots with a sharp knife\scissors. Plant it and hopefully it will spring into life straight away like mine did.

Aquafleur do a couple of different varieties of Microsorum Pteropus. The regular, and then another which looks like the one pictured. I'll try and find the name of it tomorrow.

The second plant am not quite sure I planted it right. It has like a hard stump with roots growing from it. Do I plant the stump ?

bigpig said:
The second plant am not quite sure I planted it right. It has like a hard stump with roots growing from it. Do I plant the stump ?

Does it look like a bulb, if so, then only half plant the bulb and allow the roots to grow into the substrate.

Back