• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants ID Please

phantomfisher

I have a couple of plants in my recently planted 100 gallon tank that I do not know the identity of, any ideas? :?

mystryPlant1.jpg

mystryPlant2.jpg

Both of these plants have been in the tank for around 3 weeks the top appears to be doing ok and the bottom one is growing very quickly. Both plants was rooted from a cutting but I have noticed what appear to be more roots appearing at various points along the stems of the top one, is this normal? The bottom plant has lots of thin hairy fronds sprouting all over it, is this normal?

Some water info:

PH: 7.4
DKH: 5
GH: 14
Temp: 26.5
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 50
Ammonia:0
Phosphate: 0.25

All advice much appreciated.

First plant is Alternanthera reineckii 'Purple' (lilacina)

and the second plant is Hygrophila polysperma “Rosanervig”

Regards
Paul

Thanks for that Paul.

Would you know the best water conditions to keep these plants in? Also the roots and fronds that are appearing on the plants can these be taken off or do I need to leave them? :?

Yes, check out the catalog, marvel at the colorful images - and then ignore the parameter numbers listed, because water parameters do not matter in this case. I can think of perhaps 5-10 species where water parameters actually matter and none of them are named Hygrophila polysperma “Rosanervig” or Alternanthera reineckii 'Purple' (lilacina).

Here is a list of the most relevant parameters you need to pay attention to:
CO2 concentration - mid to high
Nutrient dosing - mid to high
Lighting - not over the top.
Flow - high

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Yes, check out the catalog, marvel at the colorful images - and then ignore the parameter numbers listed, because water parameters do not matter in this case. I can think of perhaps 5-10 species where water parameters actually matter and none of them are named Hygrophila polysperma “Rosanervig” or Alternanthera reineckii 'Purple' (lilacina).

Here is a list of the most relevant parameters you need to pay attention to:
CO2 concentration - mid to high
Nutrient dosing - mid to high
Lighting - not over the top.
Flow - high

Cheers,

Thanks for the info but could you be a bit more specific re the parameters?

I have just got my Co2 up and running again, would mid to high be around 25/30?

I have added 2.5ml per gallon of Tetra Plant PlantaMin liquid fert, is this to much , to little, when should I add more?

My lighting is currently 4 x 54w T8's for 10 hours per day but soon to be increased to 6 x 54w T5's for same period is this medium or high?

I have two TetraTec 1200's + a 600 l/h powerhed just pushing water around. When you look in the tank all the plants move with a gentle sway! Is this a high flow?

I am sorry to be asking so many basic questions but I am pretty new to the whole plant thing so any advice you provide is very much appreciated. :)

By the way my tank size is 48" x 24" x 24"

If you check out the tutorials section there is a load of articles there all about CO2, ferts and lighting. Maybe they might be best for a start and then if you've any specific questions ask away.

Back