• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants ID

afroturf

Brought this plant from a lfs, at the weekend. Since then its grown a couple of inches and started growing more horizontaly, also the new growth is a orange/red colour that fades to yellow/green as apposed the original green. Its also started putting out a few side shoots

Heres a pick -
f_plantidm_5fb7ba3.jpg

I'm hoping it to be Didiplis diandra but its leaves arn't as ordered, they dont make a perfect cross. It looks more like a rotala or mayaca.

What do you think?

Hi,
It could be D. diandra which has a mobile stem and often looks out the front (or side) glass of the tank in the morning presumably to follow ambient light. During the photoperiod it will turn upwards towards the tank lights. In my tank the new growth is a bright lime green but the leaves get darker as they age. I've seen pictures of it as dark green and all red as well, but mine have never come anywhere close to red/orange, probably because they are on the darkest area of the tank.

The leaf pattern is like this:

Cheers,

Ed Seeley said:
Not totally sure about the ID. I reckon it's a Rotala and it looks quite similar to this picturefrom APC of R.sp.'Nanjenshan'
Cheers for the link it does look like it and the write up sounds similar to my plant, but it also looks like some of the Didiplis photos off apc plantfinder.

Ed Seeley said:
BTW, which LFS was it from?
Tall trees

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
It could be D. diandra which has a mobile stem and often looks out the front (or side) glass of the tank in the morning presumably to follow ambient light. During the photoperiod it will turn upwards towards the tank lights. In my tank the new growth is a bright lime green but the leaves get darker as they age. I've seen pictures of it as dark green and all red as well, but mine have never come anywhere close to red/orange, probably because they are on the darkest area of the tank.

The leaf pattern is like this:

My plant doesn't really change the direction of its growth, probably because the new growth it is in the top 1/4 of the tank, the leaf pattern and shape of the leaves are exactly the same as the photo you provided. Have you noticed that the leaf tips of your Didiplis close up while lights are off?

Cheers

Back