• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants not growing

suzygirl

Seedling
Hi i have a 125l planted tank thats been running since march ,i have a fluvul plant 3 light water is fine but nitrates and nitrites very low .i use root tabs and tnc complete once a week water change 50 percent a week and gravel clean .no c02 .all my plants dont grow they are all easy plants but coverd in green algea .im trying really hard could do with some help

How long are the lights on for?

Do you divide the lights-on period in two with a “siesta”? If you turn the lights off for a couple of hours in the middle of the lights-on period, the CO2 levels in the water can recover, boosting plant growth in the second half of the light period..

Can give a picture of the tank? One issue might be you don’t have enough plants to compete with the algae.

Adding floating plants can help suppress algae.

Last edited:
but nitrates and nitrites very low .
You need some nitrate for your plants to thrive, and nitrite should be zero.
More info would help; what about filtration? What plants and how many? Livestock?
And, as @Ags11 says, a photo would be very useful if you can post one.

Which wattage of Fluval Plant 3 do you have? From a quick Google it seems to be available in three different wattages. Also it‘s important for us to know how long it’s on for each day.

What dosage of TNC Complete are you using, and how often? If your nitrate level is very low, it could be that you’re not providing your plants with enough nutrition. Nitrite, of course, should be zero - as indeed should ammonia be.

If you could tell us a bit about what plants you’ve tried growing that would be great.

Apart from having algae on them and not growing, are your plants showing any other symptoms like yellowing leaves or “melting”?

I HAVE THE 32 WATT LIGHT ,FLUVUL HAVE THIER OWN SETTING FOR PLANTS THATS WHAT I USE IT COMES ON 6AM IT GETS DIMMER FROM 12 THEN GOES BLUE AT 6PM .I FEED 22ML TNC A WEEK SOME OF MY PLANTS ARE YELLOWING I WILL TRY AND REMEMBER THE NAMES ,WATER SPRITE ,CRYPTS ,COBOMBA ,53B AND A FEW OTHERS I AM GOING TO TRY TROPICA SOIL ,HOW MUCH TNC SHOULD I USETO RAISE MY NITRATES

Hi i will try to get some photos for you if my son was here it would be no problem im not that clever lol

Hi all,
if my son was here it would be no problem im not that clever
Unfortunately I know the feeling. None of my tanks are <"very photography friendly"> and I've never owned a camera. These are the best ones I've got, the other <"photos are even worse">.

dicrossus_clup1_resize-1-jpg-jpg.jpg

It doesn't have to be @CooKieS <" quality">, just a view of the tank (full tank shot) and the plants, so that we can assess plant health.

If you have a look at the pictures on page 6. of <"AS900.....">, they are the sort of pictures we are after.

You might also be interested in <"Duckweed Index says ...."> and <"........Leaf Colour Chart">, they explain how you can use the health, and leaf colour, of a floating plant to assess the nutrient status of the tank.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back