• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants pearling on WC day only

jueloo

As title says, my plants are pearling WC day. Sunday morning i do WC, Sunday night plants pearl like mad. Rest of week, not much pearling except plants nearer the surface. I dose EI and always top up NPK after WC, trace on next day etc.

Does this suggest my filter isnt performing very well?

its only pearling becuase you have filled up the tank, its nothing more. (may be a slim chance that the dosing helps but i doubt it)

its like when you initially fill up a tank, there are always bubbles for the first day or so.

Nick16 said:
its only pearling becuase you have filled up the tank, its nothing more. (may be a slim chance that the dosing helps but i doubt it)

its like when you initially fill up a tank, there are always bubbles for the first day or so.

I thought this at first, but its not just the bubbles fromthe wc. Ive actually tried knocking them all off to make sure. You can see streams of bubbles from some plants, like where theyve been pruned and large bubbles sitting between ludwigia leaf pairs. I dont see this on other days. Plants deinitely pearling lots on WC night.

mine are exactly the same, the bubbles sometimes stay for 12-24 hours. for me anyway, its not pearling as its only one day a week.

Nick16 said:

True,but my plants pearl all day every day,i dont know for sure but im thinking its down to nutrients and co2 levels being ok,but thats not to say you are not doing it correctly in your tank,the thing is no two peoples tank are the same,what works in one tank may not have the same effect in another persons tank,
regards john.

why does it matter if your pearl every day? that fact of the matter is the guy asked why his only pearl on water change day.

Nick16 said:
why does it matter if your pearl every day? that fact of the matter is the guy asked why his only pearl on water change day.

Nick we know its a well know fact that plants seem to pearl more wc day than any other day,i was making a point that to keep them pearling longer may be a nutrient thing ok,
john.

cool, there wasnt anything intended btw. id just rather see a thread with 5 posts and the question answered than 50 posts and not get an answer. it helps when reading back through if you need the info in the future thats all.

We've had a few experiments between us and one that stuck out for me was the effect of having plants above the water line for even a few minutes. Most of us will have some of the plants emersed for a substantial time at water change time which gives the plants the opportunity to 'gulp' in a load of unrestricted CO2 (300-400ppm level as compared to 30ppm below water). So that once the water goes back up and the lights come on they will pearl like mad.

Not knowing your full tank set-up, it is not going to be possible to give all the reasons what/why things are happening for you, but as with John, I get pearling every day. However, when I had Koralia pumps going, this was less evident and I also got more pearling when the CO2 levels were higher prior to adding fish.

So unless your filter is blasting away at the plants I would suspect that it is nothing to do with your filter.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4206

This was a good discussion on pearling after water changes (at least I thought so :lol: )

Back