• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants Suggestions Please

Superman

As you might be aware, I'm looking to re organise my tank after I'm back from holiday.

I've got a nice piece of sumatra driftwood (see my thread on that for the photo of it) and am looking to put that in the center of my 180 Vision tank.

I'm going to get eco-complete as the substrate and so need to work out which plants would work well.

I have 2x Nutrafin CO2 reactors to add a steady flow of CO2 into my tank.

I have the standard Juwel T5's with reflectors.

I'd like to get some that my fish will like and it to have a SE Asia theme.

I've selected these...
Vesicularis Dubyana - Java Moss (Attached to wood )
Microsorium Pteropus - Java Fern (Attached to Wood)
Hygrophila Difformis (Background/Side)
Cryptocoryne Pontederifolia (Middle)
Cryptocoryne Lingua (Foreground)

Whilst I want some plants in there, I don't want it to be heavily planted as want to give my danios and TBs space to swim.

I would appreciate it, if someone could post ideas of plants that would work well and suggestions on how to use them and where to put them.

To be honest I wouldn't use Java moss. There are so many excellent mosses around that look far better than JM. I'd recommend Spiky Moss that looks like a neater, larger fronded moss or Weeping Moss if you're tieing it to branches to hang down, but there are loads of others.

There are lots more crypts too - and easier to grow - like C.becketii and C.wendtii that would look great too in the mid- to foreground.

I agree with Ed. Java moss has to be the ugliest moss ever discovered. Study the following website for some cool alternatives: http://www.aquamoss.net/

Superman said:
I'm going to get eco-complete as the substrate and so need to work out which plants would work well.
Eco-complete works with any plant so there are no restrictions there.

Superman said:
Whilst I want some plants in there, I don't want it to be heavily planted as want to give my danios and TBs space to swim.

This is a really bad idea when re-doing or starting up a tank. Normally, you do want it to be heavily planted. Check the info regarding plant biomass and it's effect on algae in this thread: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=798

The idea of a themed tank is fine but one has to be able to grow the plants successfully first. The plants you listed are mostly slow growers and it would be advisable to first place a large number of fast growing plants in for a while. After a few months, when the system matures you can start removing the unwanted species.

Cheers,

Greenline and Aqua essentials are the best 2. pets at home you often get a bargain, my local, Uttoxeter has 4 pots of tropica HM for £10.

Looks like my reply got lost in the problems.

I got a great order of plants from Aquaspot world, but the postage costs are high unless you order a lot of plants IMHO.

Other than that I've ordered from both Greenline and AE a number of times and they are both great.

I've adjusted my thoughts on plants and have listed a few below, would appreciate your views, arrangements and alternatives. I've noticed that most are green and would like to mix up the colours a bit.

I wish there would be like a "Asian Plant Pack" that I could get.

These are from Greenline but would like tropica ones - found I difficult to look through the tropica online documents to select plants.

BLYXA AUBERTII
CRYTO X-WILLISSII/NEVELLII
ELEOCHARIS PARAVULUS
ELEOCHARIS VIVIPARA
HYDGRO THAILAND STRICTA
HYDGRO SALICIFOLIA
HYDROCOTYL SIBTHORPOIDES
NORMAPHILA VARIEGATED
VALLIS SPIRALIS RUBRA
HYGROPHILA ROSANERVIS

Back