• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants taken a turn for the worse...

onetwothree

Hi all,

When I first set up my tank, I got some really strong growth and the plants were all very green and vibrant. I realise these were new plants at the time, so are likely to be very green when purchased, but they grew fast and thick and seemed healthy for roughly the first 6 weeks, tank went from a few baby plants, to being 3/4 full of plant growth. There was the odd dying leaf here or there, but otherwise it looked great.

Low-tech setup. I been using the using the Fluval Aquasky (I believe the 1.0 version - https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/aquasky/) set at 85%red, 100%green, 85% blue and 100% white. The tank was filled to 125 liters and I have been using Easy-Life Profito (1.4ml per day) (easylife.eu/products/freshwater/plant-food/profito), everything is planted in Tropica Aqua Soil (https://tropica.com/en/plant-care/aquarium-soil/aquarium-soil/). After around 1 month of this, I started using liquid co2 at around 2ml per day (https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/microbe-lift-bio-carbon). More recently I am running the tank at 100 litres (reduced by 25 litres) due to it being rimless and wanting less pressure on the glass, but have kept my dosages the same. Up until this point, I had been doing around a 10% water change each day.

Within the last month/6 weeks, I started to notice a lot of brown hair algae, so I pulled my blue lights to just 25% (instead of 85%) and the hours back to around 6 hours (was originally at 9) and this solved the problem. I've now put my blue back to 50% and increased hours slightly to aroud 6 hours 45 ish. However, alongside the algae I've noticed some small holes in the leaves and some browning/yellowing and dying material getting worse. More recently, the plants are starting to look pretty poor as this progressively getting worse. The only changes I can think of that occurred at the start of this decline are; introducing liquid co2, reducing water volume by 25litres and reducing the frequency of water changes to around 40-50% per week, as opposed to 10% daily.

Currently the only thing that seems healthy is my Amazon sword (at least I think that's what it is), which is at the back and in one of the more shaded areas. It's leaves are now touching the surface and its nice and green with little damage. Everything else seems to still be growing, but is slowly browning/yellowing and growing small holes etc while simultaneously dying!

Is this a problem that could have been there since the beginning and is only now materialising, or has a change created this issue? This is my first tank, so I have zero experience in attempting to rescue plants.

Any advice on the potential error and advice on a change in practise or product would be a great help.

Pics attached of damage.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 83
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
@onetwothree you have most likely three deficiencies caused by lack of N/P/K in Profito.
Profito only supplies micro, you also need to supply macronutrients and these deficiencies are very common when only Profito/CO2/Carbo is used.

alongside the algae
mainly lack of P

I've noticed some small holes in the leaves
lack of K

and some browning/yellowing and dying material getting worse
lack of N (N is mobile so plant is sacrificing older leaves and moving N to the new growth, while older leaves start melting/yellowing)

Plants were growing ok for some time while using nutrients stored in the soil/tissue but you need to supply NPK (and probably Mg) now. I wouldn't decrease the light, but supply additional ferts:
KNO3/ MgNO3/CaNO3 for N/NO3 (and K/Mg)
KH2PO4 for P/PO4
KNO3/KHCO3 for K

Remove leaves affected by necrosis etc (there is a chance that leaves affected by algae will look better after some time while supplying P) and wait few weeks.

To set required amounts of ferts you can use @Zeus. fert calc: https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/fert-calculator-v1-7.60034/

Typical weekly dose for medium planted tank could be:
10ppm of NO3
2-5ppm of PO4
10-20ppm of K
plus your usual dose of Profito (and potentially 5ppm of Mg weekly).

Hi all, It doesn't have any nitrogen or phsophorus and they've just run-out of food.

Try a complete fertiliser mix and they should perk up again.

cheers Darrel

Any you would recommend? TNC Complete seems to be mentioned on here and reviewed well on Amazon. I'm assuming as this is complete, it has the required nutrients?

@onetwothree you have most likely three deficiencies caused by lack of N/P/K in Profito.
Profito only supplies micro, you also need to supply macronutrients and these deficiencies are very common when only Profito/CO2/Carbo is used.

mainly lack of P

lack of K

lack of N (N is mobile so plant is sacrificing older leaves and moving N to the new growth, while older leaves start melting/yellowing)

Plants were growing ok for some time while using nutrients stored in the soil/tissue but you need to supply NPK (and probably Mg) now. I wouldn't decrease the light, but supply additional ferts:
KNO3/ MgNO3/CaNO3 for N/NO3 (and K/Mg)
KH2PO4 for P/PO4
KNO3/KHCO3 for K

Remove leaves affected by necrosis etc (there is a chance that leaves affected by algae will look better after some time while supplying P) and wait few weeks.

To set required amounts of ferts you can use @Zeus. fert calc: https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/fert-calculator-v1-7.60034/

Typical weekly dose for medium planted tank could be:
10ppm of NO3
2-5ppm of PO4
10-20ppm of K
plus your usual dose of Profito (and potentially 5ppm of Mg weekly).

Thanks for this. I assuming instead of dosing the specific elements, I could go with something more complete that has these with appropriate ratios, such as TNC Complete as mentioned above?

Thanks for this. I assuming instead of dosing the specific elements, I could go with something more complete that has these with appropriate ratios, such as TNC Complete as mentioned above?

Of course you can, I've listed them separately as I prefer to use separate salts or more specific mixtures.
But bear in mind that if you'll start to use any "complete" fert (assuming it contains both macro and micro), it's better to stop dosing Profito as you may potentially run into toxicity issues.

Of course you can, I've listed them separately as I prefer to use separate salts or more specific mixtures.
But bear in mind that if you'll start to use any "complete" fert (assuming it contains both macro and micro), it's better to stop dosing Profito as you may potentially run into toxicity issues.

Great, thanks! :)

Back