• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants that flower.

Nick16

i know alot of plants flower, but for y new scape im after something that will hopefully flower easily and look really nice.

something fairly small (low level) as its going to be an iwugumi (kind of), but there again i could hide some stems behind the wood.
any suggestions and any tips on how to make the plant flower?

thankies. :D

Most aquatic plants are only submersed naturally for part of the year and so time their flowering to the times when they are emersed (it's a bit hard to get pollinated by insects when your flower's underwater!!!).

The groups then that you really need to look at IMO are those that are constantly submersed like vallis or that produce floating flowers like Aponogeton and Nymphaea (though the lilies usually grown in tanks are a bit hard to flower AFAIK).

The only other ones are Anubias that do occasionally produce flowers underwater.

You just need to keep all of these in really good health to get them to flower AFAIK. Also increasing the amount of potassium may help, it does in many terrestrial plants.

yeah, i have an anubias that does flower from time to time, i mihg thave a look at the apongeton species, i know the do grow large!,
i have never seen a vallis flower, normally the plant just produces loads and loads of runners for me. :lol:
can anyone recommend a small echinodorus species that will flower? i seem to always end up with E.amazonicus and it just gets massive, rather than flowering, i will have a look at some of our sponsors shops to see what i can find :D

cheers guys for the guidance so far...

I know E. Quadrostatus (spelt something like that) grows quite small but not sure if it flowers.

Back