• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants to attract Butterflies in the garden

Michael W

Since my dad loves photography I thought about designing a spot in the garden to attract some wildlife especially for butterflies for him to snap some shots and for general viewing for the family. I have a few plants in mind for this and these include:

Lavender
Bluebells
Nettles
Primrose
Forget-Me-Not
Hyacinth
Buddleia which we already have

What do you guys think about the selection so far? I'm really looking forward for this project! I must say though, managing this will be quite scary for me when spiders come out as I'm somewhat arachnophobia but in general this should pay off!

When this project is up and running, the wildlife pond should potentially follow :)

The buddelia and nettles are good.you can get wild flower mixes in packets,corn flowers work well imo.others I've used are Cone flowers (Echinacea),Marjoram and Oregano.The last 2 taste good as well.:D

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have previously looked at those sites mentioned above and they have great lists of plants to use. I thought I'd ask around here for any specific suggestions as going through them one by one will take some time since I'm currently studying for an essay on 'The Terror' during the french revolution so I'm popping back and forth from the books and the laptop :bookworm:

Just plant some broccoli you won't get rid of the rotters I garentee
you.

for late summer get some sedum. lavender , species roses ( Madame Alfred carrier is my favourite) erigeron and eryngium , most of the American prairie daisies such as Echinacea and helenium. ivy- a crucial feeding destination. lilac is always smothered in butterflies and makes a good frame for clematis rubromarginata. Deutzia,
Cardamine pratensis - if you have a damp patch. Crocus tricolour. Alliums. Big umbels such as ammi majus. lonicera- English honeysuckle.

If you go for bluebells, make sure they are English hyacinthoides non scripts. The Spanish ones are nasty brutes.

scabious and if you are into seeds (and these are dead easy) sow some cosmos - there are different heights ,the shorter ones are lovely in tubs and if you dead head them will flower until the first frosts (most garden centres sell them a little later as plugs) oh and allysum seeds -chuck in cracks in pavement etc -smell heavenly

Back