• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants with out a filter

Darren Carter

Hi guys I’m feeling really impatient I have my tank and Dennerle aquascaper soil already put it in the tank the wood and rocks have been soaking for two weeks, I have the light but the heater and filter is coming from Germany would it do the plants any harm if I brought the plants and planted them filled the tank up and then just done big water changes every other day would they be fine

Dry start method - it's where you plant in the soil but don't add water (well add so little it doesn't come above the substrate). If you have a search you'll see some examples. It depends what you plant to plant too - works better for some plants that others - very good for carpets.

Hi guys I’m feeling really impatient I have my tank and Dennerle aquascaper soil already put it in the tank the wood and rocks have been soaking for two weeks, I have the light but the heater and filter is coming from Germany would it do the plants any harm if I brought the plants and planted them filled the tank up and then just done big water changes every other day would they be fine
Hello,
If I were you I would simply fill a shallow bucket of water and float the plants in the bucket until you are ready to plant them properly. Keep the bucket out of strong light and just carry on.

Cheers,

I was speaking to my friend at the LFS and he told me about a customer who has "still" tanks - no flow, no filtration. Just plants and substrate.

Apparently he can breed things others can't. Won't tell the secret though.

Yes, it can be done. But your bio load must be light.

I currently run two shrimp bowls with no filter, no heater, no aeration and no artificial light ( see pic in my avatar). The only input is 4 hour direct sunlight by the window to drive plant growth. I don’t even do WC, just top it weekly with nutrient rich water from my high tech tank, so in a way I am doing negative WC. The inhabitants in the Bowles are shrimp, snails and a variety of micro critters. The bioload of shrimp is very light, and I only feed them lightly and infrequently.

When I set it up, I thought it wouldn’t work and would turn into an algae soup. I was wrong. I had no algae from day one, but I also heavily planted it with floaters and carpet plant from start. If you do things right, no filtration and direct sunlight aren’t recipe for disaster.

Yes, it can be done. But your bio load must be light.

I currently run two shrimp bowls with no filter, no heater, no aeration and no artificial light ( see pic in my avatar). The only input is 4 hour direct sunlight by the window to drive plant growth. I don’t even do WC, just top it weekly with nutrient rich water from my high tech tank, so in a way I am doing negative WC. The inhabitants in the Bowles are shrimp, snails and a variety of micro critters. The bioload of shrimp is very light, and I only feed them lightly and infrequently.

When I set it up, I thought it wouldn’t work and would turn into an algae soup. I was wrong. I had no algae from day one, but I also heavily planted it with floaters and carpet plant from start. If you do things right, no filtration and direct sunlight aren’t recipe for disaster.

I love it! I have a bowl here I'd like to do this with.

I was going to ask about nutrients till you mentioned it - I usually put my waste water on the grass. I'm the only one in the road with a green lawn!

Back