• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please can someone identify this rock for me?

PiddleMouse

There are quite a few of these just lying around an old filled in pond in the communal garden where I live. I've looked online, but can't be sure that what I found is the same thing. I would like to use a couple of pieces in my aquascaping project. The tank I am doing is a cold water setup for my axolotl to live in if that helps you guide me. Thank you in advance,
Anne.
rockery stone.jpg

Thank you! I know what I am researching now so shall go and check with a lot more confidence :)

Drop some hydrochloric acid on it and if it fizzes vigorously, it is more than likely limestone. Hydrochloric acid is available on Ebay in 100ml bottles for not much. Might be available in local DOY store as muratic acid, brick cleaner and sometimes drain cleaner.

Is fine in a tank, but does dissolve and harden the water, which may or may not be an issue depending what you are doing with your tank. Can make getting CO2 levels right a tad harder if you are injecting CO2. Might be good for shrimp, who generally like slightly hard water. Many people use limestone in their tanks, many people steer clear.

image.jpg
Hi ! If you have a API nitrate test kit, a drop of solution 1 on any rock will fizz up if the rock is limestone or any other that will affect your kh/gh same as hydrochloric acid. Other nitrate test kit brands may also work. Vinigar never worked for me!
Seiryu stone is similar to limestone maybe not quiet as soluable. Many people are happy to use that just have to keep up with water changes. Adding co2 will dissolve the rock faster raising your kh/gh quicker.

Thank you everyone! I did try using the rocks in my first (very recent) disaster of an attempt at aquascaping. Aside from the fact I didn't actually like it when it was insitu, it was also far too heavy for my inexperienced hands for it to be able to work. Plus, as my finished scape is to be for my axolotl, I really don't think the rocks would serve any purpose for her. And if they slipped and harmed her, oh my lord, it would destroy me with the guilt!

Back