• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please estimate my PAR

Soilwork

Hello

As the title suggests, please could I get an estimate of where I am in terms of PAR. I have 2 x T8 tubes 25W both with reflectors over 20 inch. Am I low, med or high? Thanks.

Thank you stu. I have this chart saved to my phone. What is confusing is that it does not tell you to multiply PAR by 2 when using T8 bulbs (which seems fairly obvious) and also does not account for added reflectors.

Thanks

tank depth, width, type/design of reflectors (as well as material used), lamp phosphors, lamp position all significantly impact PAR - empirical PAR measurements rarely increase by the same factor as the lamp # (that chart was developed as an approximation).

One can also "overdrive" lamps & increase PAR in that manner (shortens lamp lifetime, again extent depends on phosphor)

Thank you Alto. I realise this, which is why I was after a very rough approximation. just wanted to know if this light would suffice for Anubias, Java, fern, Amazon swords etc. Guess I will just have to observe and see.

:lol:
I was hinting that you might list your tank details & lamps & ballast & reflector information

Ah I see haha. It's a juwel vision 180 (180 litre bowfront) 20 inch roughly too fixture. Not sure on width at the moment. With the T8 fixture (not sure on ballasts) one colour tube And one daylight tube they are both around the 6000K mark I think. They are half pipe reflectors from iquatics. Not sure what the material is sorry.

Thanks for this stu. I like your tank. Out of curiousity. What is your Kh tank and tap?

I feel as though I should be ok in my setup then.

Not sure, tbh.
Medium hard water out of the tap .KH is around 9 (?) if i remember correctly.
The Rio just ticks over till i get more time for it...

Back