• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help ID

Chris_Homan

What algae would this be? I’m inclined to say brown algae but they grow most in direct light.

Attachments

• 7F58A24B-11C6-4561-884F-21F727FD4E5A.jpeg
    7F58A24B-11C6-4561-884F-21F727FD4E5A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
Is it slimy when you wipe it off?
Looks suspiciously like a type of Cyanobacteria I get in my temperate tanks,especially at the top when I zoomed in on the photo

No not really slimy. I don’t think it’s blue enough for Cyanobacteria. It’s brownish/green.

Hi @MirandaB

I'm only familiar with the blue-green species. Do you happen to know which species of cyano are red and which are black?

TIA.

JPC
I've looked at them under the microscope but I'll be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking at and I'm not able to get a photo from the microscope,both are definitely some sort of Cyano though as when wiped off they're back the next day.

Hi @MirandaB

But is it not possible that they could be algae or even a fungus?

JPC
I don't think so,the rate of growth and the texture makes me think otherwise.
I did try Easylife Blue exit which actually seemed to make it worse,Chemiclean kills it off but it comes back within a week or so as it's lurking in the substrate so as soon as that's disturbed it's back.
All the tanks it's in are hillstream type set ups with masses of flow,low nitrates and usual temps around 19/20 degrees c and it definitely gets worse during the summer with the warmer weather.
I'm waiting on a phosphate test to arrive to check that side of things but usual parameters are PH 7.2 0 ammonia,0 Nitrites with Nitrates showing around 5 on an NT Labs test kit

If you want to have a look at them,I'm more than happy to send you a sample of both in test tubes
Hi @MirandaB

I am by no means an expert in this field - far from it. But, I have taken an active interest in cyano - simply because it can/does cause aquarists a lot of problems. So, if what you have is not blue/green in colour, I can't help - much as I might like to! When you said...

Cyano does come in black,red and blue green colour.

...I was hoping that you could expand my knowledge of cyanobacteria. :D

JPC

That’s exactly it! I was worried it was green algae and that I had to adjust light levels or something like that. Useful link, thanks.

Back