Please help me improve my tank!

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by misscaretaker, 22 Dec 2008.

1. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Hi, sorry about the quality of the photo, but if you can make it out clearly enough, I'm trying to improve the layout and would appreciate any constructive criticism on how to do it!
    Picture019.jpg
    The very bright bits at the front are riccia stones in case you couldn't see it very well! The crypts on the left and right are slowly recovering from being almost annihilated by snails :rolleyes: but they come to the front of the glass so it's not as bare as it looks there!

Edited to add:
    Specs if req:
    210l (4' long)
    2 x 39w & 2 x 24w tubes (hence the brighter light in the middle - long story)
    Ferts TPN+
    FE CO2

2. samc

samc Member

i think your tank would look good with a bushy plants in the back corners something like rotala roundfolia or rotala sp.green, these quickly go bushy and look good like this one.
    [​IMG]

3. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

I've been looking at the Rotala and it does look good. I've only just upped the lighting enough to grow it and the hygro I have at present doesn't bush up very well - I've just cut a fair bit off so it looks even worse!

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

You need more order to things, i.e. the some plants planted close together and the wood does little for the scape at the moment. I would also get a load more plants in there. That way they will have more of an impact and will likely also make it easier to see what works and what doesn't :)

Hope that helps :) dont think Im being harsh just being honest and trying to help :)

Have you checked out these sites for ideas? Loads of great scapes on these :)

http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?lang=en

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008.cgi

Sam

5. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

I don't think you're being harsh; I know it's cr*p,that's why I've asked for help! My main problem is that like many people I haven't got a penny to spend on it atm. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to use the wood to add height! Apart from binning the wood and getting more plants, any other suggestions?

6. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Don't bin the wood, just perhaps reposition it. It'd be better on one side IMHO :) for the time being, try to cultivate the stems, i.e. by cutting the top half off and replanting it, there by doubling the amount you have. That's a free way of getting lots more plants pretty quickly.

Sam

7. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

I have tried the wood in several positions over the last few months and I just can't seem to get it to look halfway decent :( . Perhaps over the next week I'll take it out and have another play (not tomorrow, obviously; well, maybe :lol: ).