• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help, so MILKY!

Hi Josh. Last I checked, I go down to about pH 5.7 when the co2 is on and I think my KH is somewhere between 0 and 1. But I couldnt tell you if that’s good or bad. I use RO water and remineralise to TDS 120 (using a combo of seachem equilibrium and shrimp mineral GH/KH+).

Thanks for the info.

The scape looks healthy.

If it was me, and you are not afraid of fiddling (equipped with a keen eye), I would turn down CO2 a micro hair and watch. I can't say how much - that is based on your regulator - but maybe so that pH goes a bit higher (again hesitant to give a number, you will have to feel the system).

You can probably get away with less CO2 at those lower KH's and that may stabilize bacterial activity.

My 2 cents.

Josh

EDIT: if you see a decrease in plant health, turn it back up.

You can probably get away with less CO2 at those lower KH's and that may stabilize bacterial activity.
Thanks Josh, I didn’t know bacteria were fans of low pH or that CO2 works better at low KH (I achieved my scape results via Green Aqua YouTube videos) - the science is all new to me.

I’m a little hesitant to play with the CO2 again because it’s taken me these 6 or 7 weeks to find the spot that pushed back the algae and stopped the fish stressing, which was making me stress 😁 but I’ll definitely consider it if I’m in the same boat after the weekend.

thanks again!

I didn’t know bacteria were fans of low pH
Can't find my exact reference right now - but denitrifying bacteria should be classified as Neutrophiles (The Effects of pH on Microbial Growth | Microbiology.) and would "prefer" that neutral environment.

Honestly, though, I don't know the magnitude of impact as you stray away from neutral. It could just be "time".

It's a game of economics. Is the damage of "less" CO2 beneficial? We should actually question what is the damage of "less" -- and I am not so sure the answer is obvious. It too will be a balance as the ability to manufacture sugar decreases as pH drops as well (The Effect of PH on the Rate of Photosynthesis)

CO2 works better at low KH
Have no reference. I wouldn't be surprised if higher KH disrupt the acquisition of CO2 from the water column (directly or indirectly ... don't know).
I’m a little hesitant to play with the CO2 again because it’s taken me these 6 or 7 weeks to find the spot that pushed back the algae and stopped the fish stressing, which was making me stress 😁 but I’ll definitely consider it if I’m in the same boat after the weekend.
Been there friend.

Face the fears! Crank that needle valve and watch its effects. You can always re-turn it back up. Learning experiences :).

Josh

Last edited:
Back