• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help with fish identification

mikeb210

I've had this fish for a few years but never knew what it was. Anyone recognize it? Its mouth is upturned like a betta but it spent most of its time near the bottom of the tank. Any ideas?

aefcb19c-68fc-178e.jpg

Looks like something that should have been culled rather than sent for sale! A very deformed rasbora maybe?

I did not purchase this fish, it came with a batch of feeders and I took it from the tank. I'm pretty certain it was not a rasbora, but I could be wrong. Length of maybe 2" or so.

It was not as weirdly shaped as the pictures might have you believe, its just that the fish is dead now and not looking his best. Its tail is squared off with no fork, not sure if that'd help.

Same I thought an otto, but then look at the face and then mentioning an upturned face?

Could it be a killifish?

I would say it's a cyprinid of some sort but it's tricky to tell from a corpse. Any pics of it swimming?

Sorry I don't have any other pictures. It was hard to photograph, kept darting back and forth too much for my point and shoot camera to get anything other than a blur.

I thought maybe it was a least killifish but it was always quite skinny and never really looked the part. Coloration was off too, it always looked as it did in the picture, colorwise.

I am in the states. I'm pretty sure that's not it but those fish are gorgeous. I've never paid killifish much mind but I'm kind of impressed with them.

I would have chalked it up as a mutant tetra or rasbora long ago but its fins were different and it had a squared off tail which neither species has.

Back