• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plec problem

idris

At least 6 months ago I rehomed a plec for neighbour, I never got round to identifying it before I never saw it again in my tank, and assumed it hadn't survived the move. It was about 4yrs onld and 3" long.
Today I'm sure I spotted it in a cavity in a lage piece of bogwood. but there may be a problem.

I think there's only one way in/out.
The entrance may be too small for the plec to get out easily.
The wood is big enough I would take a three day re-scape to get it out.

How big a problem is this, and any clever ideas how to solve it if so?

You’ll be suprised what they can get in and out from. Most species spawn in narrow caves with only one entrance so hopefully it’s fine. Maybe try have a look with a torch once all the lights are off in the evening and you may see it moving around the aquarium.

Cheers

Hi all,
Today I'm sure I spotted it in a cavity in a lage piece of bogwood
I never saw it again in my tank, and assumed it hadn't survived the move.
I agree with @Conort2 it <"should be fine"> and they can slip in and out through fairly small holes. You could try giving in some more caves, partially because you may get to see it more often.

I kept Hypancistrus spp. for a while, and they were <"incredibly reclusive">. At one point I also had a reasonably <"large L100 Ancistrus in a 60cm tank">, while I was trying to rehome it. The fish had sentimental importance for me and I kept him longer than I would have done, and he grew bigger than I would have liked, but I still very rarely saw him.

cheers Darrel

Back