• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 54 Liter Journal.

PM

Hi, I thought I would start a journal on my tank instead of posting all over the place with my questions :)

This is my first journal and my first proper attempt at a planted tank, though I would say that I am not quite at the level of 'aquascaping', at least that is how I see it in my head - just try to grow the plants and make it look nice, Then worry about arrangement :lol:

I have had a big problem with BGA, though that seems to have gone away (almost), from upping my dosing regime. Therefore, most of the stems were thrown away due to there condition. (Hence the empty background).

Some tank info:
Filter: Eheim 2322 thermo
CO2: Injection, FE, ADA glassware, drop checker
Light: 2x24W T5 Arcadia Plant Pro (4x24W unit)
Plants: Tropica Rotala rotundifolia, Tropica Juncus repens, Tropica Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Java Moss
Fish: 6x Rummy Nose, 5x Black Neon, 2x Phantom Tetra, 1x Platy, 3x Otos 3x Shrimp
Ferts: Double EI baseline KNO3, K2PO4, Trace
WC: 50% Every week

I'd like to thank everyone so far who has helped me (you know who you are) :D ..... so ..thanks!

Anyway here are some pics I took today, (no PS, just slapped them up)!:

2628803148_13925ddf0b_b.jpg

2628796580_cd2d213162_b.jpg

2628814508_302b05ddf3_b.jpg

2628842560_9074b815b5_b.jpg

It`s an excellent first attempt for sure. Once it grows in it should look great.

I am not sure what stems you had originally, but I would recommend the more delicate types for a tank of this size. Have you considered Micranthemum umbrosum and Hemianthus micranthemoides?

One tweek I would make would be to make the division between the sand and moss a bit less straight and artificial looking. Still, a little more growth may do this naturally, anyway. Looking forward to this one progressing.

Dave.

Nice scape you are in the right direction :) Your father doesn't want to make me a stand? He could start a business hehe
Your dosing seems fine and shouldn't have any algae issues soon enough, just add some EasyCarbo, 2.5ml a day will help the plants and combat the algae ;) worked wonders in my tank. Good luck :D

Hi LondonD, thanks, yeah I used Excel in times of need - great stuff :)

I did actually mention to my father that there could be a market for these, but he has constant work anyway and isn't in the best of health so isn't really interested :(

I really want my Juncus Repens to start growing again - no growth for about 2-3 weeks now, though it looks very slightly healthier.

A little update :)

Last water change I accidently sucked up two of my rummy noses, so they got a free water slide ride into the bucket :lol:
I just netted them and put them back in the tank. They seemed remarkably fine! Though the next morning I found one dead :arghh: RIP Rummy

The algae battle is going quite well - much less algae growth in the last week 8)

Still trying to get my Juncus Repens to actually grow a bit, have been using a little Excel as well as CO2, now with midday burst of another 48 Watt T5 - which makes some plants pearl again :D

I have also bought some plants from Garuf - Umbrella plant, hydrocotle sp. & Echinodorus Tennelus, which I should receive some time next week.

Here's some pics - not much change though :?
Front
2643290222_2fac9e0223_o.jpg

Left
2642462961_61797d6359_o.jpg

Plant that won't grow
2642462827_88dd5d278c_o.jpg

Top view - makes me smile :lol:
2643290802_a1d8ec057a_o.jpg

Any tips on kick starting this plants growth? Is it just going to die? :wideyed:

Up the co2 and the dosing...
I love the set up though, it looks great, I would advise adding some fast growing stems though, try rotalla's I've used these in all my tanks and love them, rotundifolia green and wallachi are my favourite two.

Hi all, just an update on how things are going for me.

I have been having problems with green water since many weeks ago when I forgot to put de-chlorinator in the water when I changed it. It went away but has come back again. I did a massive prune today, removed about 50% of my java fern, and cleaned the filter in old tank water changed the pad WC etc etc etc....

I have also changed the positioning of the wood a bit - I like it better but you can't really see it too great cos of the GW. I have a UV sterilizer in the post (supposedly - long story). All my plants are doing very well though and my Juncus Repens is growing again.

Here's a vid, I did it to show the scum on the surface, I skimmed it for ages (manually with a jug), but it just keeps coming back. How might I get rid of it? :(

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGj-gIZHyk

PM said:
I have been having problems with green water since many weeks ago when I forgot to put de-chlorinator in the water when I changed it. It went away but has come back again. I did a massive prune today, removed about 50% of my java fern, and cleaned the filter in old tank water changed the pad WC etc etc etc....
Hi,
There is no correlation between the addition/deletion of de-chlorinator and green water (or any algae). Green water occurs as a direct result of poor nutrition for the available light.

PM said:
Here's a vid, I did it to show the scum on the surface, I skimmed it for ages (manually with a jug), but it just keeps coming back. How might I get rid of it? :(
See this thread for some clues:=> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2389

Cheers,

Back